I'm gearing up to do my first AG batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to do my first AG batch soon and I recently came across this video. . Would this be a good video to go by? Can you guys recommend a good video to watch before I begin?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really guilty of tl;dw when it comes to instructional videos, so I usually try to find written instructions. This is basically all I needed to jump into all grain: http://www.suebob.com/brew/Bobby_Mallgrainprimer.pdf (Credits to Bobby M)

With no further instruction or guidance I was able to successfully brew an American Stout with that primer. Sure, you can go into further detail than what's in that pdf, but for starting out I honestly haven't seen a better way to have everything you need to know in one place.

Find someone who has been doing all grain a long time and brew with them (make sure they make good beer first by sampling some) Then brew it. I automatically distrust internet videos for no reason other than you have no idea what thier beer ends up tasting like. That being said Denny Conn's picture tutorial is all I used to start all grain.

I'm partway through the video the OP posted, and it seems like a good reference. Actually, what he's doing is almost exactly my methods. Kyle

As to all grain. You first have to decide on your equipment.
BIAB Brew in a bag, needs no mash tun.
Then, if you make and use a mash tun you can do no sparge, batch sparge, or fly sparge. All these have different techniques.

I prefer batch sparging for it's combination of efficiency and simplicity.

This is the video that got me started.

Watch a lot of them, try to decide what will work best for you, then experiment and figure out what you like best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks kh. I'll watch that one as well.

As to some of the comments about what type of equipment to use, I already have a 10 gallon cooler just like the one in the first video, and I have an 8 gallon kettle along with a 4 gallon kettle. I've also got a 50 ft. SS immersion chiller and a submersible pump for recirculating ice water. I should be good to go.

I see you are a local guy! If you haven't already, you should join the Arizona Society of Homebrewers (ASH). I only have 3 AG batches under my belt, but it sounds like you are more than ready to make the jump. My AG batches are no more difficult than my extract batches were, they just take more time but come out tasting much better IMO. Having a plan with all my steps laid out has been key for me to stay focused without getting flustered and it really is easier than it seems.

I've briefly checked out ASH's website. Initially I couldn't make it to meetings because I always worked on Thursday. My schedule has changed, so I might be able to make a few meetings now.

The meetings are usually Tuesday nights now and it's a great group. It's actually the largest homebrew club in the country and they have some great get-togethers besides the meetings. If you join, you get 10% of at Brew Your Own Brew in Gilbert, so what I save there makes up for the $30 annual membership. Good luck on the first AG brew, I'm sure it will go great and report back!

I'm really guilty of tl;dw when it comes to instructional videos, so I usually try to find written instructions. This is basically all I needed to jump into all grain: http://www.suebob.com/brew/Bobby_Mallgrainprimer.pdf (Credits to Bobby M)

With no further instruction or guidance I was able to successfully brew an American Stout with that primer. Sure, you can go into further detail than what's in that pdf, but for starting out I honestly haven't seen a better way to have everything you need to know in one place.

I've completely read through this and learned a lot. Thanks for posting the link!

2. Heat strike water in your kettle to ABOUT 185F and dump it into your cooler, then close the lid. Wow, doesn't that seem a bit hot? Your cooler is going to absorb quite a bit of heat in the first 5 minutes. Leave it alone with the cover closed to let it warm up. After 5 minutes, open it up and stir the water, then test the temp. You're going to want it to cool to about 168F. Remember, software will help you figure out exactly what temp to use. Once you reach your ideal strike temp, dough in (mix the crushed grains in thoroughly) then close the lid.

Any suggestions on the software Bobby M is writing of? I need something compatible with Mac.

Hopville's beercalculus is free and works well, there is a mac only software called BeerAlchemy that I have used and it works well but I haven't found a way to convert batch sizes from liters to gallons so I stopped using it.

OK, so using the videos and the Bobby M pdf I've made a checklist for myself. My first AG brew will be on Saturday, so I'm prepping for it this week. I've compiled the info into a checklist that I can print off and mark off once I've completed the steps. Constructive criticism is definitely warranted and appreciated here. In fact, that's why I'm posting the list.

First off, the recipe:

15lbs Maris Otter
1oz Centennial 75 minutes (FWH)
.5oz Centennial 60 minutes
.5oz Centennial 30 minutes
.5oz Centennial 15 minutes
.5oz Centennial 5 minutes
1oz Centennial Dry Hop

Now, the checklist:

1. Heat up strike water (18.75 quarts {4.6875 gallons}) to 185°F.
2. Make sure ball valve is closed and add water to mash tun.
3. Let sit 5 minutes so the cooler can warm up.
4. Check to make sure strike water is at 166°F. If not, stir until it lowers to 166°F.
5. Pour grains in slowly while stirring to avoid clumps.
6. After 5 minutes stir and check temp in various places to verify mash temp of 152°F.
7. Let mash 1 hour.
8. Begin heating 5 gallons sparge water to 180°F.
9. Vorlauf until wort runs clear.
10. Siphon mash tun slowly into brew kettle.
11. Sparge
12. Make sure to pull a pre boil sample to check for efficiency.

You've got it. Make sure to close ball-valve before adding the sparge water. I accidentally "fly sparged" once for a minute before I realized the valve was still open. Good thing the tube was in the BK, too, or else burning and loss of wort would have ensued.

Monitor your preboil volume as you sparge. Don't just assume that your precalculated sparge volume will be dead-on. Personally I'd heat more than you think you need and then cut it off when the BK is at preboil. Chill that preboil gravity sample ASAP too and see where you are. If you're high, run some more of the sparge into kettle (if you can fit) and make more beer at same gravity. Of course your bittering will be slightly higher with increased volume but we're probably talking a few IBU's for an extra pint or quart of beer.

You've got it. Make sure to close ball-valve before adding the sparge water. I accidentally "fly sparged" once for a minute before I realized the valve was still open. Good thing the tube was in the BK, too, or else burning and loss of wort would have ensued.

Monitor your preboil volume as you sparge. Don't just assume that your precalculated sparge volume will be dead-on. Personally I'd heat more than you think you need and then cut it off when the BK is at preboil. Chill that preboil gravity sample ASAP too and see where you are. If you're high, run some more of the sparge into kettle (if you can fit) and make more beer at same gravity. Of course your bittering will be slightly higher with increased volume but we're probably talking a few IBU's for an extra pint or quart of beer.

+1, sounds like you have a great plan. If you come up short on your expected efficiency just reduce your hop amounts slightly and vice versa. Take pics and let us know how it goes!

This takes A LOT longer than extract. I'm stoked to taste the results though. I'm done with the first runnings and I'm waiting on the rest of my sparge water to siphon off so I can start my boil. I think I'm going to like AG.

First AG batch. I've done around 30 extract batches.

Dude. Just let 'er rip, man.

Figure it this way, if you like....most guys confident enough to set out to make a video have had enough experience to know essentially what they're doing. if you find a video you like, watch it and let 'er rip.

you gotta try REALLY HARD to make something remarkably horrible. And you have to make mistakes on your own to REALLY learn how to do most things, brewing included.

And as Papazian says...

Relax. Don't Worry. Have a Homebrew.

Well, the boil started, I've been relaxed and ATM I'm drinking a blue agave wheat that I brewed. I think RDWHAHB is one of the best parts of brewing.

my only mistake in brewing (outside of mashing too low and getting alcoholic water) is drinking too much and, after the 5-6 hours of brewing and drinking, I find myself knackered and don't take good notes. I have at least one brew bottled up, that I have NO IDEA what the exact ABV is.

I only go to Brew Your Own Brew off McQueen and Baseline. They have an amazing mill there and let you set the gap with whatever you want, plus they have the lowest prices in the valley that I have found. I set the gap there at .028 and get between 70%-75% batch sparging. Consisitency is most important though. It takes a few batches to get your system and process dialed in, but going AG has been the best thing I have done for my brewing.

Back