BeerSmith Mash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tochsner

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been doing all BIAB and have BeerSmith pretty figured out for that.
I am going to do my first "traditional" AG batch with a cooler mash tun on Saturday.
I put my recipe in BS and have been setting up my equipment profiles.
On the Mash Details tab, under Sparge it says:
"Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.46gal, 3.82gal) of 168.0F water"

Am I correct in assuming that after the mash, BS wants me to add 1.46gal of water for the mash out. Drain the tun and then add 3.82gal of 168F water and drain it again?

Thanks in advance for the help.

You can change the fill volume for the MLT under mash profile, and have equal sparges if you choose to.

-click the checkbox that says drain mash tun first
-change the percentage of volume depending on what your actual volume is (normally 50-80% of batch)

I see what you mean. It now says "Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, 5.29gal) of 168.0F water"

Does this mean, no mash out? Don't raise the temperature before you drain the tun the first time?

If you want to do a mash out, change your mash profile from say "Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge" to "Single Infusion, Medium Body" and that will put the step in for Mashing out.. If I'm remembering correctly :)

Back