Help! Cant get a blue flame on my burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperpots_Brewing

Reaction score
Just assembled my single tier stand, and I was testing it out and I can't seem to get a blue flame on my burner. It is just a big yellow flame. I adjusted the valve on my burner, on the regulator coming off the tank, and the air flow into the back of the burner, all it does it make the yellow flame get bigger. I had it running for about 5 minutes to test how fast it would heat water and it seems to have turned the bottom of my kettle black. I don't think it scorched it to the point of giving off favors, but it was only for 5 minutes, not a full boil.
Does anyone know where my issue is? I'm using 6" cast iron burners from agrisupply.com. They are 70K btu each. If I let this go, will it scorch the kettle and give me off flavors? Is this because of the burner I'm using, or a gas issue, or what? Here is a few pictures, one of the flame and one of just the burner. Thanks so much in advance... Need help badly!

image-3462952741.jpg

image-3946479251.jpg

maybe a bad needle valve in your regulator? It looks like you are just getting WAY to much fuel. Sweet pic though :D

Do you have the correct regulator? From the pix the flame looks very weak. Normally a yellow flame means you need to adjust the air but your supply looks like the problem.

It looks like the flame are touching the tips of the burner openings. There's about an 1/8th inch blue portion, but that's about it. I just got the regulator from AirGas here in Cleveland. I think they said its just about the biggest they sell. Any ideas what kind/size I should get? I don't know anything about gas or anything, so whatever specifics you can give me so I can relay to them would be great!

I just looked at the invoice from airgas, and the line item says ' HIGH PRESSURE REGULATOR MARCHALL BRASS'. If I'm using a low pressure burner but a high pressure regulator, could that be the issue?

Did you replace the gas fitting on the burner?, it looks like the original is gone and an 1/8" X flare fitting was used, which means too much gas flow without the orifice restriction. The opening should be #65 drill size for high pressure, #45 for low pressure.

That burner can actually be run on either high pressure or low pressure, but you need the corresponding orifice. The symptoms sound like what happens when you try to run it at high pressure using a low pressure orifice (or no orifice).

Had a problem like this with mine. Couldn't figure it out so I took it apart and found a ton of crap inside. Cleaned it out and it worked great.

JuanMoore said:
That burner can actually be run on either high pressure or low pressure, but you need the corresponding orifice. The symptoms sound like what happens when you try to run it at high pressure using a low pressure orifice (or no orifice).

Yeah, last night I took it apart while on the phone with a family member who knows what he's doing, unlike me, and we figured out that there were no orifices in any of them. The supplier must have played a mean trick on me. I called and they're sending more out to me. Hopefully that does the trick. Thanks for your help, guys!

Latest posts

Back