Batch size question, Kettle Size question - Noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericm007

Reaction score
New guy here, as I'm still trying to decide what size pot to buy. I'm thinking either 10 or 15 gal. I will be initially be working with extract. My question is this.

If I am understanding what I've read correctly, I will be boiling about 2 gallons of water to make my wort and then topping off to get a 5 gallon final batch size. For this I don't see how I could use a 15 gallon pot without a lot of loss from boiling and scorching of the wort.

Or would I just do a full 5 gallon boil and then add water to make up the difference to make the 5 gallon batch. I can see where I could use a 15gal pot doing this.

What are the downsides to the larger boil?

Which size pot?

I will probably be doing 5 gal batches for a while.

Thanks. I have read a lot of good info here.

Eric

NordeastBrewer77 said:
if you're thinking about a big pot, no need to worry about partial boils. boil the whole volume (batch size + boil off rate)

Exactly. And your beer will be better!

Aaand... I would recommend a 9 gallon kettle with ball valve, about $115 or so.

If your are doing partial boils, a 24Q pot is more than plenty of space. When you add cold water to the fermentor, you get to your 5 gallons.

10 gallon will handle 5 gallon batches easy, 15 gallon will handle 10 gallon batches easy.

A 5 gallon kettle will handle extract partial boils so if you think you may want to do all- grain or 10 gallon batches or both in the future I would go with the 15. It is way easier to boil 5 gallons in a 15 then the other way around and besides, for extract batches a full boil can give better results so it is fine to do a 5 gallon boil in a 15 gallon kettle!

Next hurdle is cost;)

Good luck!

Before you jump off and buy a monster volume pot how do you intend to heat it? That will partially determine partial or full boils.

Before you jump off and buy a monster volume pot how do you intend to heat it? That will partially determine partial or full boils.

I have a gas range and was concerned about that, but I also have a King Kooker turkey fryer I can use outside. Can I do a 5 gal boil on the range with a 15?

that really depends on your stove. i can boil 5+ gal in a 7.5 on my glass top electric, believe it or not, but i know some guys struggle to get 3 gal boiling on the stove. as far as the turkey fryer goes, that's the way to go with larger pots, IMO.

I agree with the turkey fryer too.

I used my electric stove to do 6+ gallon boils (it took a long time and a lot of mess) and it almost destroyed my stove. Outdoor/propane burner is the way to go and it is easy to just hook up a chiller from your garden hose as well!

10 gallon will handle 5 gallon batches easy, 15 gallon will handle 10 gallon batches easy.

A 5 gallon kettle will handle extract partial boils so if you think you may want to do all- grain or 10 gallon batches or both in the future I would go with the 15. It is way easier to boil 5 gallons in a 15 then the other way around and besides, for extract batches a full boil can give better results so it is fine to do a 5 gallon boil in a 15 gallon kettle!

Next hurdle is cost;)

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Looking like I may pony up and get the 15 for future needs.

Yeah go with the 15 on the outside propane burner. It will be great for 5 or 10 gal batches. You can always get a keggle as well, should be a little cheaper than buying a new 15 gal brew kettle. I just picked up one for $100 on Craigslist that included a ball valve for easy transferring to my primary. Cheers!

Yeah go with the 15 on the outside propane burner. It will be great for 5 or 10 gal batches. You can always get a keggle as well, should be a little cheaper than buying a new 15 gal brew kettle. I just picked up one for $100 on Craigslist that included a ball valve for easy transferring to my primary. Cheers!

I've looked for a keggle or kettle on Craigslist for a few weeks and haven't found one, looks like I may have to buy new. C ya.

ericm007 said:
I've looked for a keggle or kettle on Craigslist for a few weeks and haven't found one, looks like I may have to buy new. C ya.

I've got one on CL now, all decked out... but I'm in California ;)

brightspotbrewing said:
i've got one on cl now, all decked out... But i'm in california ;)

image-2945099920.jpg

Back