Stuck Ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrick

Reaction score
Friday 2/16 I brewed up a batch of Red Ale that I worked up a little recipe for, check it out:

Red Ale:
5 lbs Bulk Amber LME
1 lb Amber DME
½ lb Crystal Malt
½ lb Vienna Malt
1 lb CaraRed
1 oz Cascade Hops – Bittering
1 oz Cascade Hops – Flavoring
1 oz Perle Hops – Aroma
Safale S-04 Dry Yeast

Today I see no airlock activity where yesterday there were bubbles every second.
Could the primary ferment have already finished if I had a really active first two days?
I keep my pails and carboys in a linen closet that has extra room and it stays about 68-70 F in there. I didn't get to check on it much for the first day but it was going like crazy this time yesterday, just a bit concerned about it.:confused:

As long as the temperature hasn't plummeted sometime in the last couple of days, don't worry. I've had batches seem to ferment out in a couple of days. There is probably still activity, you just don't see it. What hydrometer reading are you getting?

BrewFrick said:
Have not been using the hydrometer, need to start I guess.

Nah, it's not too critical unless you're in a hurry. It's nice to see if your beer is done, but they sometimes cause more headache than they're worth. I always log my hydro readings in my journal, but don't take a whole lot of stock in them. I forget who, but someone around here always says that hydrometers will only make you worry.

I'm also too busy to get all my brews bottled "on time" so they usually sit in primary for 10 days or so, and then in secondary for 3 weeks or more before I bottle. I know it's done by then. :mug:

Back