Best sodium Percarbonate to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
I remember being told that Oxyclean has a scent added to it that might add an off flavor to a brew. I have not noticed any with mine but it is time to buy a new container and was wondering what other brands are available at a reasonable price, and if any do not have scents added? I found this at a local store, it is a sodium percarbonate based cleaner. Anyone tried it before? http://www.downtoearthorganics.com....e=1&Search=&SearchCurrPage=1&cs=0&tmpModID=-1

The version of Oxiclean labeled "FREE" is perfume free.

My bucket came with a green lid.

I have some with the yellow lid and it's got the stinky crap in it.

I will never understand the people who think every thing has to have some vile smelling perfume in it. I absolutely detest the stinky **** they put in all those products. It gets in your cloths your house and it's like a bad case of drug resistant tuberculous.

So is oxyfree a product made by the same company that makes oxyclean, and should also be sold at the same stores?

So is oxyfree a product made by the same company that makes oxyclean, and should also be sold at the same stores?

I believe Church and Dwight ( makes Arm & Hammer products) owns the Oxiclean product line.
http://www.ahprofessional.com/MSDS/

Anyway It's in the Grocery store next to the other Oxiclean products. The perfumes stuff has yellow cap and the Free has a Green cap but it says "FREE" on the label. Pick it up and smell it. If it's got the word "FREE" and you can't smell the stench of fake perfume you are golden.

I prefer that over Five Star's PBW because metasilicates are really harsh on your skin and as a hobby brewer I get my hands in the cleaning solutions all the time.
http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/msds/pbw.pdf

I suppose if you had gauntletted rubber gloves that went pas t the elbow ~ ~ ~ ~

Normally I am all about "a chemical is a chemical", but recently I bought a bunch of dollar store brand oxiclean, (not the Sun oxygen cleaner, but some other one), and honestly it works like crap compared with oxiclean Free. I'm going back to the spendy stuff once I use this crap up.

Normally I am all about "a chemical is a chemical", but recently I bought a bunch of dollar store brand oxiclean, (not the Sun oxygen cleaner, but some other one), and honestly it works like crap compared with oxiclean Free. I'm going back to the spendy stuff once I use this crap up.

By "works like crap" you mean...? It must be doing something
if you are not throwing it out.

By "works like crap" you mean...? It must be doing something
if you are not throwing it out.

When I threw in the brand name Oxiclean, (mixed 3:1 with TSP-PF), all the gunk just fell off. With the generic, I had to scrub, and it left a lot of the gunk caked on, (like hard water deposits, no amount of generic oxi/TSPPF or star san would remove it, also no amount of scrubbing....not sure how to get it off).

So it kind of works, and I don't want to chuck 6 lbs of it, but it requires a lot more elbow grease.

Latest posts

Back