Coors Light - WOW!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
I'm trying to put down a mini-keg of Coors Light today so that I can use the keg for homebrew. So in the process I'm having my first CL in a few years. Wow! It's even more flavorless than I remember! I'm really, honestly, amazed. The fact that they can make water with an abv of 4.2% is truly astounding if you think about it. I'm not being sarcastic either. Huh.

Monk

P.S. if I have any other new revelations in the next few hours, I'll be sure to share them. Even if they are really inane and uninteresting. ;)

No, no. We're talking the VERY mini-keg. It's the little 5 L job they sell for parties or whatever. You can get them online from some of the homebrew supply stores for about 8 bucks. But if you can get them full, with no shipping/handling, for $10, why not empty it yourself, right? Plus, they work great for cask conditioned real ale. Cheers!

monk

Monk said:
No, no. We're talking the VERY mini-keg. It's the little 5 L job they sell for parties or whatever. You can get them online from some of the homebrew supply stores for about 8 bucks. But if you can get them full, with no shipping/handling, for $10, why not empty it yourself, right? Plus, they work great for cask conditioned real ale. Cheers!

monk

Link please! I would like to have one of those!

DSCN3983dab_L.jpg

Okay my friends, here you are:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/mini-kegs.html

It's the product a little ways down the page under "mini-keg systems". For me, I don't use the phil's tap equipment. I just use the mini-keg itself, as this is all you need for cask conditioned real ale. You dispense by gravity, which allows for the lower carbonation and soft mouthfeel you get from a hand pulled cask ale. It's "live", like almost all homebrew, but must be consumed within 1-3 days of tapping. These kegs have a relief valve on top and a spigot on bottom. I don't know how to use the ones that only have a top tap (ie Heineken). For these, you empty it. Then sanitize and fill with 1-2 Tablespoons of corn or cane sugar, and a little over 1 gallon homebrew (leave ~1 inch room in the keg). Allow it to condition and tap it. The top valve and the spigot are reusable.
The only caveat I'll add is this: if you don't have a corny keg system and are looking for a low cost alternative, I don't recommend this as your solution. This is going to pour a pint like a cask, not a keg. In other words, it will seem to be too low in the way of carbonation if you're looking for american style higher carbed ale. Just get the corny system and don't waste your money. On the other hand, if you enjoy cask conditioned ale or just want to try it out, buy a cheap lager in a minikeg and empty it. Refill with a bitter or brown ale and try her out.

monk

Ok, thought on Coors light:

Your pee ends up with an SRM of about 2. This should be quantifiable evidence enough that Coor light almost doesn't exist. It's like an essence added to water. I think they just add one drop of "essence of cheap lager" to one barrel of water. Again, completely astounding. I'm gonna go eat some lentils.

Monk

homebrewer_99 said:
Advice: If you get the mini-keg #7812, you can get the pressure relief bung #7818 and not have to buy a tap w/CO2 cartridges.;)

That's what I'm talking about, dog. (Sorry, I'm intoxicated.)

Ok, wait a minute. That link to the tap-a-draft system is to a system for about $55. I thought that we were talking about a $10.00 mini-keg that is already filled with a much maligned American Light Lager.

That's what I want a link to. Or do you pick these up at local liquor stores? I have never seen one.

dude...scroll down! the tap a draft is on top but the "mini keg" is a bit ways down. Trust a fellow homevrewer to give you the goods. :) I know nothnig of tap a draft, but the minikeg at half page is money.

monk

ok, srm is down to 1.5. I cut my finger dicing potatoes. But the coors light is still great! I've had a gallon and I've still only consumed 14 calories, the equivalent of 1/18 of a beer!

Hey, do you think a stout would condition well in one of those little mini-kegs? I bought a Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen Amber 5L party keg a month ago and I saved it with keg conditioning in mind.

I don't know but the coorsd is gone. The bandagae on my finger is imparing my abitlity to type. Lentil soup was good. Gut I bfrorgot the bay leaves. Heavfnens. Whart kind of cook pulls that knd of crap, egven with a wounded finger. ANyhoo. Peeing water at this point. This is almost bvordering on descriptivfe research--if you countg od on coors as a unmznipulatavle independent variabvle. that doesn't make any sense. sorry. finger's ok. thanks for the concern. God bless
monk

beer4breakfast said:
Hey, do you think a stout would condition well in one of those little mini-kegs? I bought a Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen Amber 5L party keg a month ago and I saved it with keg conditioning in mind.
I kegged a Smoked Ale in June 05 and just drank it in Oct 06. It was very tasty.

I forgot to mention that I have over 20 of these kegs that I've refilled many times.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
I kegged a Smoked Ale in June 05 and just drank it in Oct 06. It was very tasty.

I forgot to mention that I have over 20 of these kegs that I've refilled many times.:D

and i forgot to mention that any advice i gave earlier was moer oer less derived from HB99's advice a few months ago. he is the master mini-kegger. Thanks again HB.

monk

homebrewer_99 said:

That's great if it can still be good after so much time. I didn't know that beer would be good that long.

It doesn't take that long to condition, does it? About the same as in a bottle, right?

Had the same experience with a Coors Light a few weeks back. Had one sitting around and thought I'd give it a try. I guess the more quality beer you drink the harder it is to accept anything that mainstream.

IMHO, I think Coors is the best of the BMC...

But Coors Light is the WORST of the BMC-Lights. Yuck!

Of course, being the best BMC is kind of like being the fat chick who sweats the least.

I got one of those mini kegs. It was grolsch lager. It was good. I didn't want to toss the keg but coundn't see how to refill it. I left it in a common area in the motel us railroaders stay at. No body took it. So I put a price tag of $2 on it figuring somebody would at least steal it. It was still there a few days ago. If it is still there tomorrow I'll bring it home. But how do you fill them?

It is a widely known fact that Coors Light has a gravity LOWER than that of water. I swear to God. You can look it up.

LOL, timing of this zombie thread coming back is perfect. I was on the phone with my MIL talking about arriving in town to visit for the extended weekend, and she was talking about the cheapest drive-thru in town to buy light beer.

I call Coors Light 'canned water', and drinking it is the only way to keep up with my in-laws. Their livers must be made of steel.

Coors light or "C-" as it's known around here Is good for one thing Colorado Margarita's :

1 part C-
1 part frozen lime aid
1 part soda water
1 part Tequila

Don't knock it till you've tried it, but beware they are strong :drunk:

I'm not gonna lie, I like coors lite. Not the taste (or lack thereof) of it, but it was my go to beer for tailgating while in law school, so I have a lot of fond memories,and some periods of missing memories that I associate with the silver bullet. Good times...

There's nothing wrong with Coors Light ... that and probably Hamm's or PBR are my favorites of the "light American beer" category. Just remember ... they exist because they serve a purpose - if they didn't, then they wouldn't be around ...

I am on the lookout for one of these mini kegs for around $10-12 or so ... the only ones I have seen are: 1) The Heinekin guys (which have top-mounted pumps, and are not designed to be re-usable ... so they're worthless); and, 2) Widmer Hefeweizen has been making the gravity-fed kegs (and Widmer is pretty good!), but thats around $20 ... not entirely un-affordable, but I just haven't found the mini kegs with "the cheap stuff" in it. I have only seen the Widmer ones at my nearby Safeway, and once - and only once - did I see an imported mini-keg of German lager at a Market of Choice.

BTW (reviving zombie thread) ... can I use "Bubba Kegs" like I would for a mini keg? I have come into the procurement of a brand-new, 1 gallon "Bubba Keg" at no cost to me (a work reward program gift), and I was wondering if these could be used for kegging.

He says it's the finger........;) Not the elephant urine..I mean Coorsd......I mean water...whatever..

It's basically A huge aluminum can that retains pressure.....sorta..

If your local beer shop doesn't carry those, god help you.

Back