Kegerator Project. Dumb Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffk14

Reaction score
I'm looking through c/l for a used fridge. I'm gonna convert it to a kegerator, but want to leave the CO2 tank outside. Can I drill a hole through the SIDE of the fridge for the gas line without worrying about hitting any refrigerant lines? I've been told that there are no lines in the sides. Thanks.

There may or may not be lines in the sides, it really depends. You might be able to find a diagram of the fridge online once you buy it that answers your question.

There are ways to do this. Most require careful inspection of your drill site to make sure it's clear. Another option might be to come in the back where many refrigerators have a drain line.

I would say, no, you cannot drill a hole without worrying about it.

It is going to depend on the make/model of the fridge you purchase.
After you get one, check with the manufacturer, customer service.

Brew on.

I've seen a lot of pics from people drilling all sorts of holes through the side of their upright refrigerator. It really depends on the exact refrigerator you have. I would recommend carefully drilling only through the inside or outside layer then remove/push aside the insulation. If there happens to be a coolant line their work it out of the way then drill through to the other side.

I drilled a hole in the side of mine, but VERY close to the front edge. I don't think there were any lines in the walls to begin with, but I just wanted to be safe. In general, if there is a radiator on the back and your fridge cools with a fan blowing cold air in then there are no lines in the walls. However, if the back of the fridge is solid, with no radiator lines then there has to be a warm side heat exchange somewhere. Those warm lines usually run in the walls, and radiate heat through the outer metal "skin" of the fridge.

DSCF0202.JPG

Thanks for the responses. TwoHeads, your pic was what gave me the idea when I saw it. Any reason why you've got the regulators mounted so high? Is it so they're at eye-level? I'll just take it slow and be careful if I can't find a diagram for the specific model I end up with.

Back