Would like to lower alcohol percentage.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZGirl

Reaction score
Hi again

The Coopers kit I buy makes beer at about 5.25% alcohol. I'd prefer around 4%.

The kit is one can of extract, one kg of dextrose, yeast and 23L of water. (Edit: oops, water added UP to 23L)

Shall I add more water or less sugar and how much (more or less)...

Ta :)

Thanks I'll do that.

It tastes delicious but four 750ml bottles kicks my butt a little too efficiently. ;)

Hi again

The Coopers kit I buy makes beer at about 5.25% alcohol. I'd prefer around 4%.

The kit is one can of extract, one kg of dextrose, yeast and 23L of water.

Shall I add more water or less sugar and how much (more or less)...

Ta :)

This is the first time I have ever heard of this problem :drunk: :rockin:

Thanks I'll do that.

It tastes delicious but four 750ml bottles kicks my butt a little too efficiently. ;)

You want less drunk, don't drink 4 750ml bottles! How's your stomach hold all that.
Or am I mistaking? that's 4 wine bottles right?
Yes, That's the equivelant to 8.45 12oz beers. You should be drunk after that!

Don't drink four bottles? Are you crazy? ;)

Yes, wine bottle size... basically three litres... doesn't seem like a lot while I'm drinking it... I enjoy drinking, especially in the afternoons on a lovely sunny day (it's summer here) but I'm finding I'm all pooped out by sevenish in the evening on this home brew.

A lower alcohol percentage seems like a good solution to me.

Edit: I'm used to drinking 10 440ml cans of 4% beer.

Well, sugar reduction as someone said, or a different style. English milds and ordinary bitters are fairly low abv

Don't drink four bottles? Are you crazy? ;)

Yes, wine bottle size... basically three litres... doesn't seem like a lot while I'm drinking it... I enjoy drinking, especially in the afternoons on a lovely sunny day (it's summer here) but I'm finding I'm all pooped out by sevenish in the evening on this home brew.

A lower alcohol percentage seems like a good solution to me.

Edit: I'm used to drinking 10 440ml cans of 4% beer.

Well holy crap, maybe get a day job if you're drinking that much. But seriously lessen the sugar for less alcohol or add more water either way. Adding more water will give you a weaker flavor but will give you more quantity, and it looks like quantity is king for you :)

You usually drink 12.39 12oz beers at 4%? Does this usually give you a buzz? Is this also homebrew? Are you sure you're calculating ABV correctly? Or are you a very large person? Not trying to be mean, this is just blowing me away.

Well holy crap, maybe get a day job if you're drinking that much. But seriously lessen the sugar for less alcohol or add more water either way. Adding more water will give you a weaker flavor but will give you more quantity, and it looks like quantity is king for you :)

You usually drink 12.39 12oz beers at 4%? Does this usually give you a buzz? Is this also homebrew? Are you sure you're calculating ABV correctly? Or are you a very large person? Not trying to be mean, this is just blowing me away.

lol, I have a day job... I'm self employed... so knock off time is when I say so ;)

I would rather use less sugar than more water... don't want a weaker flavour... very much enjoying the taste of it how it is right now.

And yes, that many beers will give me a buzz but at least it takes me all night to get there on 4% beer... don't like getting a buzz after only a couple of beers. Seven pm is too early for bed time ;)

I have no idea how it fits in my stomach... lol... I am a small eater so that helps I suppose, and I guess I go to the bathroom frequently, makes more room... I don't know... I really don't think I'm alone in drinking that much, surely!

I have the opposite problem of NZgirl. I am almost unable to get a buzz from beer.

The most I can consume is about 1 12 ozer every 2 hours and I am a big guy so even at 9 % I never get a buzz. More than that and . . .well, I just don't like to drink more liquid (alcoholic or not) than that.

The only buzz I have had in the last 15 years is the night I drank a 22 ozer of apfelwein.

Wow, one every two hours? So you could start at lunch time and finish at midnight and only have had a six pack?

Sheesh, I'm going to monitor myself a bit more I think.

I actually did start early today since it was a brewday. Cracked my first at 1:00 pm and oooh! my third about a hour and a half hour ago (9:00 PM).

This was not a judgment on my part. There have been times when I was in the mood to get a buzz and just couldn't pull it off.

+1 on the mild or bitter. Tasty beers with 3-4%. I like to have a couple and not stumble around.

When it comes to using pre-hopped extract brews (like Coopers) the only way to lower the alcohol content is to limit the dextrose. Removing half of it should help.

When you do get into slightly more complicated brews (as in hopping your own and maybe using steeping grains) I'd try a session beer. Generally speaking they are beers lower in alcohol so that consumers can drink more without the same effects. AHS has a variety of them available that are about 3.9% ABV and while I haven't tried them myself yet I've heard they are quite tasty.

I have the opposite problem of NZgirl. I am almost unable to get a buzz from beer.

The most I can consume is about 1 12 ozer every 2 hours and I am a big guy so even at 9 % I never get a buzz. More than that and . . .well, I just don't like to drink more liquid (alcoholic or not) than that.

The only buzz I have had in the last 15 years is the night I drank a 22 ozer of apfelwein.

Don't eat anything all day and then drink a 12 oz 9% beer. You'll get a buzz.

I like to remain within or close to the confines of moderation, so I tend to make beers in the 4% range. My favorite quaffer so far is a dry stout. mmm so good.

It's called a beer and a shot. Somebody send this guy a bottle of whiskey.

Sheesh.:drunk:

Back