Yeast physical characteristics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungrymonkey

Reaction score
bear with me, I am on my 4th beer of the night.

But do different yeas ts for different styles come in different physical characteristics?

I pitched some White labs ale yeast today that was a sort of congealed or clotted consistancy.

The last 5 or so vials that I pitched had the consistancy of chocolate milk. They were evenly mixed with the clear fluid in the vial (after agitating).

Today it was more like clumps of oatmeal. or clotted blood chunks.

I thought it was a bit odd, and I understand that yeast strains are different. I was just not expecting it.

I looked at the fermenter and it has the yeast clumps floating on the top. Its too soon to see if the fermentation has taken off, and I am not concerned about it.

I just havent delt with this yeast strain before.

Yes the yeasts that flock well are in clumps. That's normal. You will get used to most of them as you try different styles of beer. Always pay attention to the fermenting temperature suggested for each yeast. It is very important.

my brew closet is right at 63 with the door closed. 65 with it open.

Its a couple degrees lower than the suggested. But not much I can do at this point. Unless I want the kids screwing with the tubing, or the dog eating my air lock again. :D

Back