Clear Kolsch by 9/12 ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlap

Reaction score
Quick question, Do you guys think I can have a good Kolsch cleared and ready to drink by 9/12? If so, any recipe / yeast / clearing recommendations? I do have a fridge to condition in.

My step-dad is coming down to visit on 9/12 and he's anxious to try one of my homebrews. He's intrigued that I'm brewing my own beer and keeps telling me that when I move back up North, we're going to have to turn his man room into a brewery. :mug: 'Problem is, he's a cheap beer man; drinking busch light, highlife, etc. About the craziest beer he'll drink is Killians Red.

So the plan is to ease him into the good stuff eventually but start out making a beer that he's comfortable with. Once he smells and recognizes what hops are, I can slowly bring him to the light (of tasty pales, reds, browns, etc)

Cheers!

Sure. It's close though. Normally I would want 6 weeks at least. My Kolsch recipe is like Bit Burger Pils though.

Quick question, Do you guys think I can have a good Kolsch cleared and ready to drink by 9/12? If so, any recipe / yeast / clearing recommendations? I do have a fridge to condition in.

My step-dad is coming down to visit on 9/12 and he's anxious to try one of my homebrews. He's intrigued that I'm brewing my own beer and keeps telling me that when I move back up North, we're going to have to turn his man room into a brewery. :mug: 'Problem is, he's a cheap beer man; drinking busch light, highlife, etc. About the craziest beer he'll drink is Killians Red.

So the plan is to ease him into the good stuff eventually but start out making a beer that he's comfortable with. Once he smells and recognizes what hops are, I can slowly bring him to the light (of tasty pales, reds, browns, etc)

Cheers!

An alternative to a straight Kolsch would be Yooper's Corn Cream Ale. I've made it twice with Kolsch yeast and it is wonderful. The lightweight malt body, low hopping and corn dryness/sweetness are very close to BMC type lagers but there is still enough going on to keep craft beer drinkers interested. It's ready to drink fairly quickly, though the Kolsch yeast does take time & cold to clear properly.

Chad

I think its doable as long as you brew today, or already have it fermenting. Kolsch is good young. Mine's always drinkable after 3 weeks in the bottle. keep the OG low, maybe 1.040 so it ferments fast and wont' need a lot of aging.

def. crash cool it in secondary, and i'd say go with wyeast's activator pack of kolsch yeast.

Thanks everyone, I'll be brewing it today, keeping the gravity low, and crash cooling immediately after fermentation. :)

Latest posts

Back