Basic Rootbeer Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRS

Reaction score
OK, so my 3 year old son watches with envy as I make beer. I don't feel as though he is ready to be involved in the process just yet, so was thinking making rootbeer with him so he can be part of the process. He's never had soda so I'm thinking a nice A&W style might be up his lane for an occasional treat. I was going to just do it the super easy extract way with a jug of sprecher. But everything I've read speaks of force carbing it. I do not have a keg set up so how do I go about accomplishing carbonation in a traditional 12 capped bottle or a grolsch bottle, or is it even recommended? I'm open to options, just keep in mind I'd like to keep a 3 year old as involved as possible.

Try an extract like McCormick, you should be able to find it at the grocery store, and it's not too far off of something similar to A&W, though you may want to add more vanilla with it.

Sprecher extract is a syrup and it contains preservatives, which is why you can't carbonate it naturally. Though if that's the route you're going, be careful with those glass bottles. You'll want a test bottle that PET so you can see how firm it's getting as it ferments.

If you want to avoid fermenting altogether, use the extract to make up a syrup and bottle that with some ice cold club soda.

I've recently read about how much easier bottle bombs are with carbing soda than beer. Good to know. What I have not read yet is this method you mention of being able to mix ice cold club soda and extract syrup. Does it stay carbed if I buy a couple 2L bottles and mix it, then put into 12oz bottles? I would think it would end up mostly flat.

It's not the optimum for retaining carbonation, but it's workable. The trick is keeping everything as cold as you can: club soda, bottles, syrup. Pour the club soda carefully to avoid excessive agitation, and it will turn out pretty well.

i make root beer with my almost three year old. we have a blast and it doesn't take long. i measure out the sugar and let her put it in the gallon jug with a scoop and funnel. i also let her pour in the water and hand me bottles. then after work we'll sit down and drink one together. it is fun and she looks forward to it.

if you carb naturally, you do have alcohol in the drink, though only a small amount if done properly. Just a FYI since you have a 3 year old drinking it.

Back