Star Trek or Star Wars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyklez

Reaction score
My apologies if this thread already exists, and some may consider this a fallacy, but my vote is star trek tng all the way.

Fan of the original Star Trek here. My favorite outer space movie is Close Encounters of Third Kind.. ha! (I know it is not in the same plane) Showing my age.

Ranking in order of theatrical release:

Star Wars IV > Star Trek I
Star Wars V = Star Trek II (tough call here)
Star Wars VI > Star Trek III
Star Trek IV > Star Wars I
Star Wars II > Star Trek V
Star Trek VI > Star Wars III

As far as TV: TNG > original > the rest of the crap

I liked Enterprise, still miffed that no one else did.

A New Hope was the best movie of all of them, my 10 year old self snuck into the theater 5 times to see that one.

I grew up on both, so it's pretty hard to pick. But generally I like Star Wars a little more.

Enterprise was great, so was voyager. Picard was definitely the best captain. I also like that Patrick Stewart still voices a lot of animated characters. In fact I watched the latest episode of futurama and I believe he was the voice of the fox-hunt foreman.

I mean, I liked star wars enough, but I just can't watch the originals without thinking Luke was a whiny brat the whole time.

Both. But I liked ESB best of all, followed by EpV and Wrath of Kahn, then the rest. I have too much life to live to waste debating the merits of the leftover episodes.

My friends keep telling me to watch battlestar. Evidently the series is available on Netflix streaming. I haven't gotten around to it though, a lot of my time is devoted to this really great hobby I picked up a few months back...

Star Wars all the way.

I mean, come on:
Lightsaber vs. Phaser?
The Force vs Spock grip & mind melds?
Jedi robes vs 80's spandex?
Harrison Ford vs Shatner?
Jar Jar vs...ok, Trekkies got that one

We got death star...we'll blow your planet up. Plus Yoda. And Calrissian...Colt 45 malt liquor, works every time...

I was 5 years old in 1977 and Star Wars was the first film that I remember seeing in a theater. There was no hope for me after that. I was destined to be a sci-fi junkie, dreamer for life. My faced was pressed up against every view screen showing any sci-fi film....no matter how horrible it was. And I would love every minute of it. :rockin:

TyTanium said:
Star Wars all the way.

I mean, come on:
Lightsaber vs. Phaser?

We got death star...we'll blow your planet up. Plus Yoda. And Calrissian...Colt 45 malt liquor, works every time...

The force is strong with this one. You make some excellent points.

Star Trek fan here. Grew up with my dad as a huge fan. TNG was always good although I preferred DS9 and Voyager. The Enterprise series seemed like it had potential but I found it to be pretty boring.

As for Star Wars...I think you have to separate that into two groups: Episodes I, II, and II and Episodes IV, V, and VI. In my opinion Episodes IV - VI are great but Episodes I - III are the biggest piles of crap.

Star Wars all the way.

I mean, come on:
Lightsaber vs. Phaser?

that 80's spandex rocked...lol i swear i was watching TNG the other day and saw counselor troy camel toe!!! and yesterday i was an episode (the game) that had a 23 year old ashley judd.... cant believe stupid will wheaton got to make out with her in that episode, she was hot even then

Ha ha ha, yes! I've seen the toe too! She was hot back in the day when I was in middle school. And that's funny I was just thinking about that episode the other day...they all got entranced by a video game right? Good ole Data had to save the day.

Ha ha ha, yes! I've seen the toe too! She was hot back in the day when I was in middle school. And that's funny I was just thinking about that episode the other day...they all got entranced by a video game right? Good ole Data had to save the day.

Yup, thats the one! i new the face but couldnt figure out who she was till i looked up the cast,,, i just downloaded the first season torrent and want to watch the searies beggining to end.... I grew up watching it with my dad and always had a crush on troy...lol, dont think i even knew what the toe was back then...hahhaha (im 30 now)

kosmokramer said:
Yup, thats the one! i new the face but couldnt figure out who she was till i looked up the cast,,, i just downloaded the first season torrent and want to watch the searies beggining to end.... I grew up watching it with my dad and always had a crush on troy...lol, dont think i even knew what the toe was back then...hahhaha (im 30 now)

I just turned 30 myself, and I get that WE didn't know what CT was back then, but did no one!? Ha ha, I guess what I'm trying to say is that star trek is better than star wars because it had more toe.

TyTanium said:
Star Wars all the way.

I mean, come on:
Lightsaber vs. Phaser?

First I'd like to say both sides have reasons to love and hate. Second, point by point:
Blaster vs phaser: phaser is more useful but blaster looks cooler
light saber vs Picard fencing. Saber way cooler
The force vs the Q continuum
Jedi robes vs 7 of 9 in Spandex? No contest.
Harrison Ford vs Patrick Stuart. If you're going to pick an actor let's keep away from Priceline.
Jar jar vs Wesley crusher: well I never have to see jar jar in anything else but Will Wheaton just won't go away.

Adding some too:
Vader vs Borg Queen: vader wins
Death star vs that time ship from voyager that destroys timelines
Hayden Christianson vs Shatner
Empire vs Klingons and Romulan empires
Hyperspace vs warp
Holodec vs wamp rat shooting

Both sides are pretty awesome when you ignore the parts you don't like

Bah...I never thought Troy was all that. I think even Uhura had more sex appeal back in her day. As far as principal characters (TV Series) go I would have to go with something like this:

T'Pol > Seven of Nine > Hoshi > Jadzia > Uhura > Troy

I am sure I am forgetting someone....but this would be my list.

Bah...I never thought Troy was all that. I think even Uhura had more sex appeal back in her day. As far as principal characters (TV Series) go I would have to go with something like this:

T'Pol > Seven of Nine > Hoshi > Jadzia > Uhura > Troy

I am sure I am forgetting someone....but this would be my list.

I'd add Leila Kalomi above Troy. But you are also forgetting Rachel Nichols as Gaila from the reboot and Noa Tishby as Amanda Cole from ENT. Both above Troy and IMO above Jadzia. This list could get looonnnnggggg.

Uhura is hard to place, she got much more attention than the other females on the show, such as Yeoman Janice Rand (Grace Lee Whitney) and Yeoman Teresa Ross (Venita Wolf). But I'm a sucker for blondes so maybe that is my reasoning for the Yoeman....

T'Pol is my favorite character from all the series, just her development as an officer and coming to terms with her emotions was really good writing IMHO.

I'll also add for what it is worth. TNG was crap for IMO sex appeal. Sure they all wore jumpsuits. Tasha Yarr was the best looking and she was killed off early.

Otherwise I agree with your assessment.

I'd like to see a writer on a future Star Trek series write in a scene or weapon's dealer or rouge captain who carries a sword that works exactly like a light saber and claim it to be "An ancient weapon from when times were more civilized." Cause really, that is all SW has going for it. I thought I remembered reading someone say in one of the early episode of TNG there is a character who carries a weapon similar, but have never been able to find it. I could see the gap being bridged as several space quadrants have never been explored.

My favorite series was Enterprise too. then TNG, not sure what order I'd put DS9, OG, or Vo.

For a homebrew website I'm not surprised Startrek is more popular than Starwars . . . Romulan ALE anyone??

Not to mention Klingon blood wine and Pickard's retirement vineyard. Do those prudes in the Starwars universe even drink outside of the Mos Eisley cantina on Tatooine?

My list:
TNG>DS9>ENT>VOY>OG

TyTanium said:
Oh sure...
"That's no blue moon, it's a space saison"
--from the SW beer title thread

+1. Excellent. My take:

TNG>Voyager>DS9>ENT>OG

Star Trek Original Series all the way. Captian Kirk, Bones, Spock, Scotty, Sulu... and ALL the beatiful women! :rockin:

TOS-Kirk-and-Women.jpg

I'd have to pick Star Wars over Star Trek. And my favorite of the Trek's is definitely Enterprise.

And the best cameltoe on TV is Wonder Woman in her wetsuit!

Back