Kegerator sanitation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chumdog

Reaction score
Hey all. Just picked up a used kegerator from a local health food store that served carbonated herbal tea out of it. It is already set up for a corny keg. This will be my first home brew served in a kegerator. ,y question is how to sanitize the beer hose that is connected to the faucet. I have a simple single setup with a co2 canister and the keg. This is probably a dumb question, however any help would be appreciated.

instead of serving beer, serve sanitizing solution through the lines, out of the corney.

then hook up beer and discard first 12 oz or so. easy.

edit; I have 1 keg that leaks decicated to cleaning/sanitizing stuff.

Ok...I should clarify. I do have a corny keg, however, it has no beer in it yet. I I just picked it up from a local Coke guy. It is a pin lock and does not not the "pull" style gas release. Therefore, I can't figure out how to get the damn lid off. Any help there also would be great.

Press down on the center of the "out" side with your fingernail or a fork. That should purge the air from inside the keg, then the lid will open normally.

Fill it up with starsan, put the lid on, shake it like crazy, hook up your faucet and co2 and dispense some starsan solution :)

No need to do all 5 gallons through the lines, just enough to be sure it is clean then dump the rest (or save and use for something else).

Back