What can 1 gallon carboys be used for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincybrewer

Reaction score
I've noticed some craigslist deals on 1 gallon jugs and was wondering what they could be used for? I've read on here about people brewing one gallon batches, but I would think that would need more than a one gallon carboy so it has enough head room. I guess maybe for pitching a starter? Anyone know of anything else? I figure I better ask now so I can jump on it if I see a good deal.

For yeast starter, or secondary for 1 gal test batches..

I also make small batches of apfelwein in them..

The 1 gallon growler I have can fit a gallon batch pretty easily. Rig up a blowoff, and you won't have any trouble. That said, I only use mine for test batches to try to dial new stuff in before I commit to a 5 gallon batch of it.

They can also work for blowoff reservoirs for multiple fermenters (assuming smaller tubes are used).

edit: Just remembered, I will also use them sometimes for splitting up a batch. That way, I can use my 6.5 gallon primary for one batch, and then split a second 5-gallon batch, 4 gallons into a 5 gallon carboy and 1 gallon into the jug. Then either pitch a different yeast/rack onto fruit/dry hop into the jug, or just split up the regular yeast between the two vessels.

I don't know what kind of "deals" you are seeing, but I went to whole foods and bought empty 1 gallon glass cider jugs from the recycle bin for the deposit price ($0.20 per jug). What to do with them? ferment random things in them- split batches and do different yeasts or different dry hops, add dregs from belgian's to a gallon of homebrew, etc

Same as others.. I used them for starters before I got a nice flask, also I use them for aging mead. I also plan to get into saving yeast. I am thinking of using one to hold a yeast cake.

Same as others.. I used them for starters before I got a nice flask, also I use them for aging mead. I also plan to get into saving yeast. I am thinking of using one to hold a yeast cake.

Just my .02 cents but i dont think you'll need such a big jug for washing your yeast. You'll want several smaller jars/jugs. Check out the yeast washing in the Wiki . or search for the thread. :mug:

I have 20 5-liter carboys and about 5 1-gallon jugs.

I use them for my sour beers. I brew 6 gallons of base beer in my regular fermenters, at the same time I have a 1-gallon bug starter going. At about 2 weeks I rack the fermented base beer into 7 carboys and then split the bug starter between them. Put them in the crawl space and forget about them for 6 months to a year.

It is a nice feeling looking over a 'field' of 20+ fermenters with airlocks.

When I find cheap apple juice I make a gallon or 2 using these jugs. Just use some of whatever slurry is available at the time.

That's the funny thing about oddly-shaped glass findings. The easy answer is always apfelwein...

I think I'm going to ferment some Apfelwein in an old Mrs. Buttersworth bottle, just to see what happens!

When I drain my kettle after whirlpooling, there's always a gallon or two of gunk down there. I siphon it into a one gallon jug or two, pop it in the fridge, let the gunk settle out, then use the wort for starters. You can freeze it in ziploc bags or chiney foo soup containers. I also use my one gallon jugs for starters, test batches, or experiments with oak, fruit, or dry hops.

It's a great way to experiment with yeast or different hops. Make your mash and either 5 little boils of single hop, or full boil and 5 yeasts.

When I drain my kettle after whirlpooling, there's always a gallon or two of gunk down there. I siphon it into a one gallon jug or two, pop it in the fridge, let the gunk settle out, then use the wort for starters. You can freeze it in ziploc bags or chiney foo soup containers. I also use my one gallon jugs for starters, test batches, or experiments with oak, fruit, or dry hops.

Wow that is a really good idea.

I can't believe after 15 responses no one mentioned doing some of Yooper's 1 gal. wine recipes. The Welch's Wine is really good but a 1 gal. jug is almost too small because it goes fast.

wolverinebrewer said:
I can't believe after 15 responses no one mentioned doing some of Yooper's 1 gal. wine recipes. The Welch's Wine is really good but a 1 gal. jug is almost too small because it goes fast.

Oh man.... Now I'm going to have to get a handful of 1 gallon jugs. Hahahaa

Lots of great ideas, definitely appreciate it. The mean or wine testing sounds interesting. I'd love to try a mead but never even gave it much thought since I didn't want 5 gallons of it.

Like others have said, wine/mead/cider. You'll get 10 twelve ounce bottles per batch. Perfect for cellaring if you're like me and don't drink much wine/mead/cider. And yes, I bottle wine in beer bottles. I'm uncouth :p

Gallon wine/cider p0rn:

IMAG0255.jpg

I do one gallon batches...I own about 7 1-gallon jugs. They are really 1.2 gallons so even if you fill to one gallon, you get about 4 inches of headspace...one can seen on the pic above the "one gallon" etching...that is the sight line for one gallon.

Best part is they take the 38mm plastic screw tops with molded holes...literally can't blow off and the hole perfectly fits a 3-pierce airlock.

I'll get some krausen through the tube every now and then but no issues...and not only is it 10 12oz bottles, its its also a little over a 6-pack of 16oz, great for a present or a special occasion. Even with a tertiary conditioning and lose of trub...I still get exactly a 6-pack of 16oz bottles, very nice and makes a super-quick bottling day.

Back