wort is ready but not the starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I'm brewing a little bass ackwards today. Made my starter last night and am brewing this am. My starter is bubbling but I suspect it won't be ready until either tonight or tmrw morning.

Can I just leave the wort in an airlocked carboy and then pitch in the yeast sometime later?

If I leave the wort in there for up to 24 hours without yeast, would that be a problem?

How big is your starter? Some people ( myself included ) pitch at high krausen in the starter if it is 1.5 L or less. That is usually around 18 hours for me.

OP, i've ran in to that exact same situation the last two brew sessions. i try to be pretty thorough with sanitation and both of mine have been fine. with the last one, i had last minute problems with the starter and the wort sat for 2 days before i pitched. that's not my normal practice, but i didn't have a choice.

The starter is just over 1/2 gallon; I'd say about 1.75 liters. It's been going about 14 hours and the krausen is just starting but the slurry looks nice.

what is the OG of the wort? if it is not very high, just go ahead and pitch your starter.
shrug.gif

1.084. However, at high krauesen, I'm gonna add another pound of dark Candi syrup. The recipe for this Belgian dark strong anticipates an OG of 1.092.

This is my highest gravity beer and my first use of a starter.

Thanks for your help.

pitch it...why wait until activity dies down. pitch it while the yeast is working and there will be no lag time in your fermentor.

Back