Black IPA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
So I'm finally getting around to brewing an IPA. I decided to brew a black IPA just for the hell of it, and since I had the one from Heavy Seas and really enjoyed it...why not? Here are a couple caveats:

1. I don't want to just make a black colored IPA. Ideally, I'd like someone to be able to distinguish it in a lineup of several other IPAs, but not have it stick out like a sore thumb.

2. I don't like special roast, which seems to be a common ingredient.

3. I'd like to keep it under 65 IBUs. I don't enjoy imperial IPAs.

Here's what I was thinking:

11 lbs two row
.75 lbs carafa II
.5 lbs crystal 80
.25 lbs aromatic
1 oz warrior @ 60
2 oz amarillo @ 10
1 oz cascade @ 5
1 oz cascade + 1 oz amarillo hop tea added to keg
us-05

1.064 OG, 65 IBU

Sound good?

what are you looking for? a little more roast?

Maybe a touch of chocolate, black patent or roasted barley?
Even with just carafa some roast will come through.

I wouldn't use aromatic malt, but that's just me.

Looks good to me; I particularly like the hop tea at the end. You should get some good hop punch without the heavy bitter backbone. Between the warrior and the roastiness from the crystal, it should have some good balance.

what are you looking for? a little more roast?

Maybe a touch of chocolate, black patent or roasted barley?
Even with just carafa some roast will come through.

I wouldn't use aromatic malt, but that's just me.

Yeah, something like that. Why no aromatic?

It really accentuates the malt, which just seems out of place. Who knows, it could be good. I don't think it's gonna give you the "roast" you're looking for.

Then again ... i've been drinking. :mug:

Eliminate it, or replace it with something? Could do 4 oz chocolate wheat.

quarter pound to half pound of black patent would give you more color, and not as much roast. i am a big fan of black ipa. i may have to try your recipe and switch the carafa with black patent. looks like a good recipe, i agree on the hop tea. good idea

quarter pound to half pound of black patent would give you more color, and not as much roast. i am a big fan of black ipa. i may have to try your recipe and switch the carafa with black patent. looks like a good recipe, i agree on the hop tea. good idea

A half pound of black patent would most certainly give you some roast flavor...:confused:

my bad, i didn't think that a half pound to a five gallon batch would add too much more roastiness. what about carafa III instead of II. i am curious too now.

my bad, i didn't think that a half pound to a five gallon batch would add too much more roastiness. what about carafa III instead of II. i am curious too now.

I did something similar with carafa III. It turned out awesome. My best brew yet. Tastes like a roastier IPA but not as heavy as other dark beers.

My recipe is very similar to yours, just less og. Warrior hops worked well.

I think it looks fine as is. Either with or without the aromatic.

I really like what Carafa brings to the game. Make sure that you use the Carafa special (dehusked). It adds just a nice hint of roasty flavours without turning it into a stout.

here's what i'm brewing today. putting the carafa in at 15 min left in the mash. just tried one with an lhbs coworker where he used 1 lb of the Blackprinz malt and mashed it for 60 min ... too much roast.

6 gallon Black IIPA

12.50 lb Pale Malt (Weyermann) (3.3 SRM) Grain 78.13 %
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.75 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 4.69 %
0.75 lb Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.69 %
1.00 lb Dextrose (Briess) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 6.25 % @15 min

1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (20 min) (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (20 min) (First Wort Hop)

1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min)

1.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (10 min)
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min)

1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (0 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min)

2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop)
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop)

Back