Hop Aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all. My name is Eric and I have a brew problem. With that out of the way....
I am planning on attempting, no DOING a Framboise Lambic, and it calls for hops aged one year. From what I have read this is because the lambic should not have a hop profile, but still relies on the hops preserving characteristics. They recommend aged leaf hops since they go stale quicker versus pellet hops. So here is my question: :confused: The oldest hops that I have are pellet Saaz hops that my uncle gave me, which happens to be the variety they call for. So I ground them up to expose them to the air more, and I have them spread out on a plate going stale. I think this should work well enough over time. But I don't want to wait a year to brew this beer since it has to age for about 18 months to begin with. So, from what I have read, its oxygen and heat that cause hops to go stale, can I accelerate this process by perhaps a little time in the oven at low temps? Or will this chemically mess em up? For the love of god let me brew. Thoughts??

The attempt that I will most likely make shall be to place leaf hops in my dehydrator on the lowest thermostat setting of 95 °F. I think this should provide a fair means to accelerate the process. I haven't done it yet though. I still have to manage all my other brews before I can even think about getting knee deep into a Lambic :D.

The debittered hops that Bird mentions are probably a very good alternative.

Luckily, I just happened to notice those maybe three days ago when I was checking out the site in more detail. Struck me as odd, so it stuck in my mind. You never know when that kind of info can come in handy!

Good luck with the lambic!

Gee -- I guess my previous LHBS must specialize in ingredients for lambics, and I didn't even realize it. I have seen those same hops hanging behind his till for at LEAST a year now!! LOL

:)

Latest posts

Back