Tig welding stainless and setup with pulse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutter22

Reaction score
Hi all,
Ive been reading up on tig welding on the forum and im about to start practicing and welding up about 9 couplings to kegs. I am interested in appropriate pulse settings and couldn't find much on the forum so i thought to start a new thread.

Here is my setup:

I have a thermadyne prowave 185tsw tig welder which ive used on stainless, aluminum, and steel but this is my first attempts at sanitary welds on kegs. I am going to back purge the welds. I will be using:

1/16 Gas Lens
1/16 2% thoriated tungsten electrode
1/16 316L rod
#12 cup.

Wondering if anyone might have any suggestions on amps, argon flow to torch and back purge, and most importantly pulse settings. I havent played a lot with the pulse settings since most of the tig welds i have done are just on mild steel. This is my first attempts so any help would be great!

From what I remember when I welded some 2 inch tubing I had the pulse at about 20 percent on the background or low side and about a .5 second pulse rate which is on the slow side. I was having trouble overheating the 304 I was welding and I found a recommendation in a forum for these settings. I did not really get full penetration but I used short ferules and was able to weld both sides. When I tried to turn it up to get full penetration it was always bumpy on the backside. Not sugared ( back gassed) but not as smooth as I wanted either. Maybe the bumpiness is not a problem but I wonder how guys get a smooth finnish on the backside

thanks! ill will definitely watch the videos and see what i can come up with. im sure a bunch of practice is really going to help with figuring out amps with all the pulse settings options. any advice on back purge flow settings?

i keep my backpurge around 20cfm but thats also cause of the size can i use...and i dont pulse...i use straigt heat and walk the cup at 40

thanks guys!

tigmaster, i have a similar backpurge setup. do you just use masking tape to hook your backpurge can to the stainless part? i think the masking tape is burning a bit and wondering if that is the way to go or should i use foil tape?

just practicing still... trying to get all down before hitting the kegs and couplers.

yeah i just use masking tape...i thread an air fitting into the end of a sapparo beer can and have the weld store put me together a back purge line....about 20-30 bucks...lasts forever...then i tape the can up after i thin disc the very top off and cope a litle to fit inside of keg...then i use a locking tape measure for back up!!!

As far as I have read you should not use filler rod on sanitary welds. Which means you have to design the weld so you don't need filler.

As far as I have read you should not use filler rod on sanitary welds. Which means you have to design the weld so you don't need filler.

on a butt weld on sani tube your correct, but on any fitting like hes trying to do, you use filler. you can just fuse it, but it will be weak.

i never use anything but 3/32 tungsten on everything i make. (btw i tig weld all day building tanks/sanitary tubing/etc) for the last 10 years. so if u got any questions hit me up.

on a butt weld on sani tube your correct, but on any fitting like hes trying to do, you use filler. you can just fuse it, but it will be weak.

i never use anything but 3/32 tungsten on everything i make. (btw i tig weld all day building tanks/sanitary tubing/etc) for the last 10 years. so if u got any questions hit me up.

Resurrection from the dead eh?? Not. You specifically. The thread itself.

I'm curious why you tout about using nothing but 3/32 tungsten?

Also, weak or not. Most anything you find that's "sanitary ", I'll even go as far as just stainless steel. (Food oriented) The welds will be autogenous.

the reason i like it is because i dont need to swap out gear if i go from welding some 3/8" plate to doing some 18ga.

Gotcha.
One trick I used to often do, is to use 3/32 running gear and just swap collets and tungsten size to 1/16. Makes switching between the two easy and a bit faster. Yet, then again when you think about it. The changeover really doesn't take that long. Having said that, I use the big ol-fatty gas lenses with a number 12 cup for 99% of the welding I do. I've never tried to do what just mentioned with standard 2 series gear.

Like anything else, it's all about personal comfort and situations we all work with. My welding style was much different when I built commercial food manufacturing equipment then what I do now.

Edit: To add content to the thread.
I personally don't use pulse settings when I weld SS.

Back