How to Make a Yeast Starter **Video**

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyBroas

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I made step-by-step video on my blog for making yeast starters and thought I would share it with you all:

How to Make a Yeast Starter

It's one thing to read about it but another to actually see it done. That's true for me at least, because I'm a very visual learner.

There's one other thing I really want to post on here....Before I sucked it up and bought a scale I had a hell of a time trying to find the weight to volume conversions for DME when making starters. You should really get a scale, but if you're a procrastinator like me, here you go:

DME Weight to Volume Conversions: Keep in mind these were taken with the measuring cups filled to the brim and after tapping the side to fit more DME. It’s not perfect, but will get you close enough.

1/4 cup = 33 grams

1/2 cup = 66 grams

3/4 cup = 99 grams

1 cup = 132 grams

So for example: If you are making a 1 liter starter and using the recommended ratio of 1 g DME to 10 ml, then you would need 100 grams. Working with cups, you would add 3/4 cups.

So what do you guys think of the video?

p.s. If I can figure out how the heck to embed it in this post, I'll do so.

This is an EXCELLENT how to video Billy! I like your website too. I am in the process of building a DIY stirplate and can't wait to get after a starter for my brew session next week. :mug:

Two small nitpicks, it's easier to add dme if you remove the pot from the heat.
And there aren't always visible signs of fermentation, especially with a stir plate.

Very informative.:mug:

I have watched a TON of starter videos on YouTube, most of which are pretty poor, so I wasn't really expecting much from this video. I am happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised. This video is the most professional type video I have seen, and very informative. I am definitely bookmarking this video!

Nice video, other than the few minor issues already mentioned, I have one suggestion for you: get a bigger flask for a 2L starter. You'll get better gas exchange if you have more surface area, I would use a 3-5L flask. But the video was well made, easily followed, so good work :)

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'm really glad you like it. I'd seen the ones on YouTube and didn't like that they either left out key info or rambled on about unrelated things. I wanted to make it short but packed with good information. Plus a good camera and lighting go a long ways ;)

This is an EXCELLENT how to video Billy! I like your website too. I am in the process of building a DIY stirplate and can't wait to get after a starter for my brew session next week. :mug:

Well thank you! The site is still pretty new (launched in January) but I plan on making it a great homebrewing resource with lots of videos like this one.

A stirplate is one of my next projects. Good luck with yours.

Two small nitpicks, it's easier to add dme if you remove the pot from the heat.
And there aren't always visible signs of fermentation, especially with a stir plate.

Very informative.:mug:

Yea when I brew I take it off the heat but with starters I've never had a problem leaving it on. My pot is pretty big though. Good point about the stir plate. I'll add that to the notes section at the bottom. Thanks for the tip.

Nice video, other than the few minor issues already mentioned, I have one suggestion for you: get a bigger flask for a 2L starter. You'll get better gas exchange if you have more surface area, I would use a 3-5L flask. But the video was well made, easily followed, so good work :)

You know, when I got the 2L flask in the mail a while back I thought "This thing is going to be overkill". It's much bigger than it looks in a picture. Soon I was wishing I got a 5L one. Especially with a doppelbock in the pipline! Cheers :mug:

Thank you very much for the video. I have been trying to research on methods of making starters, and yours seemed to hit on every "good tip" I have read. It just helps everything click after seeing it be done. I will be making a starter for my 2nd batch of beer. If I don't have a flask, a gallon sized growler or so should work just fine as my mini fermentation vessel, right?

Great Video - how long does it last in the fridge?

It will last for a while but the starter will be losing viability the whole time, which really defeats the purpose of it. Try to use it within 1 week, otherwise I would make another starter from it.

Thank you very much for the video. I have been trying to research on methods of making starters, and yours seemed to hit on every "good tip" I have read. It just helps everything click after seeing it be done. I will be making a starter for my 2nd batch of beer. If I don't have a flask, a gallon sized growler or so should work just fine as my mini fermentation vessel, right?

Thanks I'm really glad you like the video. As you can tell by the blog, I'm very much a visual person too and learn best when I see things done.

You're totally fine using the growler instead of a flask. Plenty of people do it that way.

Nice video!

Question though; maybe this is more theoretical than practical. I thought that yeast that have undergone fermentation are not as healthy as those coming out of an aerobic phase. Thus, why we have to aerate our wort so well. This gives the yeast time to grow and become healthier before beginning to ferment. Should we not also do this with our yeast starters? Would it be better to aerate the beaker the whole time and let the yeast consume all the nutrients aerobically? Shouldn't this result in a healthier starter than a starter that has been forced to ferment?

Not picking on anyone, just trying to learn.

It is better to aerate the entire time. This can be done by using a magnetic stir plate. In that case, a magnetic "bean" sits inside the flask and is stirred by magnets inside the plate. Since aluminum foil is used rather than an airlock, some gas exchange in and out of the flask occurs without just anything falling into the starter. Occasionally stirring the flask works in a similar manner but with a bit less efficiency in aerating the "wort".

I generally use a 1 gallon growler with the aluminum foil. I then just boil a wort for about 15 minutes to make sure that it is completely sanitized. In my wort, I shoot for a ratio of about 6 ounces (by weight) of DME for every 2 quarts of starter that I make.

For calculating starter size, I use the Mr. Malty calculator with the Starter Type set as Intermittent Shaking instead of Simple Starter. I just try to shake my starter every few hours. The rest of if should be easy to figure out with a bit of exploration of the application.

I have a IBA fermenting with W007 (Dry Englsih Ale Yeast) I want to wash it and save for another batch of similar style beer.

Can I just wash it? Or do I need to give it the nutrient? Either way, you've motivated me to make a starter.

I have a IBA fermenting with W007 (Dry Englsih Ale Yeast) I want to wash it and save for another batch of similar style beer.

Can I just wash it? Or do I need to give it the nutrient? Either way, you've motivated me to make a starter.

You can wash it and then when you're ready to use it to make another starter, use the nutrient then.

There's a link in my signature to the yeast washing video.

Glad I could motivate you :mug:

You can wash it and then when you're ready to use it to make another starter, use the nutrient then.

There's a link in my signature to the yeast washing video.

Glad I could motivate you :mug:

Thanks dude, I've actually been following your page for ahwile, you brother, (I think or cousin) a member of Nub Live turned me onto it.

Cigar forum? You must mean my uncle Jimmie the Mum. Any friend of the Mum's is a friend of mine.

Thanks for following the blog.

I have a quick question I was hoping someone could help me with. I made a yeast starter yesterday afternoon and it was kind of a train wreck just because I had a boil over. I do not have a stir plate so as often as I can remember I give the starter a swirl. I am brewing tomorrow but every time I check on it, it seems the yeast has just settled to the bottom of the container and there is no visible sign of any fermentation. When I swirl the yeast is very chunky.

Is this normal ? Thanks in advance.

When using a stir plate do you set it on slow or set it fast so you have a vortex the whole time?

When using a stir plate do you set it on slow or set it fast so you have a vortex the whole time?

I set mine on low just so the magnet doesn't get tossed. You really only need a dimple in the surface on the liquid, not a raging vortex.

Thank you jtrux, for bringing this post up again. Very helpful.

Great video, Billy! Your site is superb as well.

Nice! Thanks for posting this, I've been overwhelmed with the crazy numbers and terms thrown around for making starters...it really helps to just see someone do the process and use layman's terms.

Thank you jtrux, for bringing this post up again. Very helpful.

Great video, Billy! Your site is superb as well.

Nice! Thanks for posting this, I've been overwhelmed with the crazy numbers and terms thrown around for making starters...it really helps to just see someone do the process and use layman's terms.

Thanks guys. I'm a visual learner and I figured a lot of homebrewers were as well which is why I do the videos.

Why not just boil in the flask. No need to pull out the starsan.
Love your site.

That's a common question. The main reason is boilovers. For a 2L starter I use an 8 qt. pot and the foam still gets close to the top. It'd be a mess using the flask. It's also near impossible to stir the DME clumps in the flask, whereas in the pot I can use a whisk.

THANK YOU!!! I am a procrastinator and haven't gotten a scale or a stir plate set-up yet. Now I think I will!

Back