Extract vs. AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planimal

Reaction score
sorry if this is a stupid question. searched the wiki but didn't find my answer

what is the real difference between using extract for a base malt instead of mashing your own?

edit to clarify: question is for base malt only, not specialty grains

huh? That IS the difference. Who does the extraction of sugars from the grain, us or a maltser. Do we do the conversion, or do we but the results of the conversion.

huh? That IS the difference. Who does the extraction of sugars from the grain, us or a maltser. Do we do the conversion, or do we but the results of the conversion.

so there's no benefit in AG other than being cheaper?

Cost... potentially the freshness of the ingredients... most extract isn't pure base grain and has some other grain in it.

so there's no benefit other than cost?

That's not the question you asked. You asked what the differnce is. And really that is it. Who makes the extract. There are very few pure extracts, it is usally a blended recipe just like Ag brewers put in their mash tuns.

As to all the other stuff beyond that, like why people do it, cost benefits, reason why, etc, there are 10 bazillion threads about it on here already.

- More control over fermentables - changing the mash temperature allows for a change in the body of the beer.

- More places/times you can add hops if you want additional hop flavor dimensions. For that matter there are multiple ingredients you might add during the mash that won't work either as well or at all in the boil.

- More choices as to what base malt to use - I can't think of any extracts that are derived from Golden Promise for example.

- Are there malted rye extracts? I am not sure about that one.

Those plus the extended choices for specialty grains might be some reasons to consider all grain over extract.

- More control over fermentables - changing the mash temperature allows for a change in the body of the beer.

- More places/times you can add hops if you want additional hop flavor dimensions. For that matter there are multiple ingredients you might add during the mash that won't work either as well or at all in the boil.

- More choices as to what base malt to use - I can't think of any extracts that are derived from Golden Promise for example.

- Are there malted rye extracts? I am not sure about that one.

Those plus the extended choices for specialty grains might be some reasons to consider all grain over extract.

exactly what i was looking for. thanks man

- - More places/times you can add hops if you want additional hop flavor dimensions. For that matter there are multiple ingredients you might add during the mash that won't work either as well or at all in the boil.

WTF????? Youn can add hops or other ingredients whereever then hell you want regardless of whether or not is is extract or all grain, EXCEPT for first woort hopping...but one could argue if you did a hop tea in water and then added the extract you could do the same thing. Very few things are added to the mash in terms of flavorings for most beers.

All grain is all grain. Malt grain, barley grain, hop grain, water grain. All grain.

Extract uses the extracts of these things. That's why the kits are liquid. They mash out all the liquids like you'd have to do yourself in all grain.

Not a smash, i find it hilarious reading his posts. Ask him if your beer is fermenting since your airlock isn't bubbling...

Back