yes another is my beer ruined, please yalls opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zahrndt_usmc

Reaction score
Ok so this is my 7th batch, (a porter) and well theres something on in that ive never seen in any of my other beers. There are some bubbles on the top of the beer, its been in the secondary for 2 weeks now. its just bubbles that dont seem to go away and there is no white stuff or off color stuff on top, just a few bubbles. I am probibly looking way too much into this but i was just wondering if there is a good posiblity that its infected or should i just relax? thank you in advance for any help that any of yall can offer I really appreciate it.

First off, yes, you should just relax. Second, without pictures it's a little hard to tell just what your dealing with.

Either way, what's done is done. If it's ruined chalk it up as a loss and brew again, if it isn't then you'll have a nice porter in a few weeks.

9:1 it's fine.

If you want better than that, tell us what yeast you used, other recipes details, etc, and post pics.

Even if its bad, bottle them and leave them alone for a while. You may just come back to some awesome stuff.

You're probably looking too much into it, RDWHAHB. You should post a picture if you can but since they're bubbles I'm willing to bet that its only the yeast playing tricks on your mind. This is what an infection would like.

IMG_2378.JPG

ok sorry about the long time of no replies. My sanitation/ cleaning is kinda simple, i use a bleach water soak for at least 24 hours in my fermenters and siphons and tubing (and everything else that touches my beer post boil, and I then rinse everything out really really really well (good thing about not having to pay for water) thin I use Starsan and let everything soak for at least an hour before another quick rinse, and thats about it. If anyone has any other good ideas or tricks or tips it would be very much appreciated. Thanks again for all yalls help. Also here is a pic of my 3rd quarter porter, is this yeast or an evil infection?

infection possilbe.jpg

I had something similar looking going on in the primary of my weizen, it may just be clumps of yeast/krausen. I'm no expert, so wait until Revvy or another more knowledgable brewer comes along.

Looks like clumps of yeast/krausen/co2 to me as well.

Also, I'd recommend not using bleach as a sanitizer since you already use star san. If you're looking for something to remove the coarse debris I suggest Oxy Clean Free. Then follow with a Star San soak before racking into the fermenter and you're good to go. While bleach may be safe to use if diluted properly it's one of those things that isn't highly recommended based on its success/failure rates. Using too much bleach can result in the formation of chlorophenols in your brew, which tastes like band-aids or plastic.

wow ive never heard about bleach doing that. My major problem with oxyclean is that (i think its the water) but i always spend at least an hour getting all of this residue out that it leaves behind. But if i can get away with just using star san that would be awesome.

wow ive never heard about bleach doing that. My major problem with oxyclean is that (i think its the water) but i always spend at least an hour getting all of this residue out that it leaves behind. But if i can get away with just using star san that would be awesome.

I never had problems with bleach. Besides, you can make oxyclean
yourself by mixing washing soda with the peroxide solution you get
at the drugstore.

Ray

I'm no expert, so wait until Revvy or another more knowledgable brewer comes along.
that's just lazy. why don't you attempt to search for the answer yourself so you actually learn something rather than hearing from another "more knowledgable brewer"? if you seek it you will find it;) look through the https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/post-your-infection-71400/ thread and find one that looks similar, there's bound to be a few that look like it!

sorry if it's meant as sarcasm. on other boards i've seen sarcasm meters to express humor; ie: SM=10 is very sarcastic.

Oxyclean can leave a residue if you have hard water. I never had an issue when I was on city water but since buying a house I've found the hard water from the well makes it happen.

A weak acid rinse will take it right off. fortunately for you, starsan is a weak acid.

The whole point of starsan is that you don't have to rinse it. When you rinse the sanitizer, the odds of introducing nastys increases. I lived in an old house in Hawaii and I never made a beer that wasn't infected while using the tap water to rinse. I don't know if that was coincidence or not but I blame it on the tap water. I have had zero problems since starting again and I do not rinse. If you don't have to rinse, don't do it. It lessens the odds.

Oxyclean can leave a residue if you have hard water. I never had an issue when I was on city water but since buying a house I've found the hard water from the well makes it happen.

A weak acid rinse will take it right off. fortunately for you, starsan is a weak acid.
I use a water softener, and still get that slimy feeling on the bottles and equipment when using OxyClean Free (or PBW for that matter). I just use a very small amount of white vinegar in my rinse water, all's good. Palmer says it's a pH thing. I guess. :)

And yep, StarSan is a no-rinse sanitizer. Don't fear the foam! :rockin:

looks ok. if it smells sour, bottle it and leave it alone for a year or 2. if it smells ok (and i think it will), bottle it and drink it in a month or 2

I use a water softener, and still get that slimy feeling on the bottles and equipment when using OxyClean Free (or PBW for that matter). I just use a very small amount of white vinegar in my rinse water, all's good. Palmer says it's a pH thing. I guess. :)

I use a spray bottle of starsan for my sanitation. After I oxyclean something I spray it down with starsan to break down the residue and the rinse it off and store it. Then on brew day I spray it down to sanitize it and it's good.

Back