secondary a beer after it reaches it's target fg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leoglenwood

Reaction score
heya

I've gotten into reusing yeast (thanks board!) and brewed Jamil's Belgian Strong Dark... was a little off the OG but it went from 1.095 to 1.015 in 10 days; it's on the yeast I used to make a dubbel... I had a sip from the hydrometer stand cylinder and it seemed good but some yeast to it and it definitely wasn't clear.

secondary or bottle in 4-11 days? your call?

thanks!

I never secondary unless I'm adding something to the beer or it needs a very extended amount of time for aging.

This beer needs it.

so age it and then re-yeast at bottling?

and when reyeasting, I've just added a few grains of Saf-05, because I was afraid of dumping a tube of White Labs into the bottling bucket and getting an uneven mix; does that make sense?

thanks for your helpful responses btw

Use a cheaper yeast like Nottingham and REHYDRATE when you're ready to bottle.
Sprinkling dry yeast will give uneven carbonation at best.

There's still plenty of yeast in suspension even after months of secondary. I've just primed and bottled with a three month secondary and had no issue with carbing. Especially since I planned to wait a few months to drink it. Like on my Belgian Dark Strong.

+1 on enough yeast in suspension.

Your bottles won't carbonate nearly as fast, but they'll carbonate. Give 'em a month or two before opening. As said above, with a beer like this, the extra time only helps.

Just to add to what dontman and suthrncomfrt said. There are plenty of yeast in suspension still and it will carb slower. The good news is that since you are working with fewer yeast cells there will probably be less sediment on the bottom of the bottle and the fact that it takes longer to carb will keep you from drinking too much of it green.

Back