3068 Weihenstephan Weizen - questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
1. "Yeast remains in suspension"

means there is no reason I should use Whirlfloc???

2. "High co2 levels, typically at 2.7 - 3.2 volumes is desirable for best presentation."

means aerate much more?

Any other things I should know about when brewing my first Hefeweizen?

I'm ready for a blowoff.

1.) Yeast remaining in suspension has nothing to do with Whirlfloc. You still should use whirlfloc.

2.) Aeration != Carbonation. You should always aerate as much as possible to get a good fermentation. Volumes of CO2 has to do with bottling/kegging, not fermentation.

1. The beer is going to be cloudy from the yeast, so the whirlfloc isn't going to matter. Use it or not.

2. Wyeast is talking about carbonation levels, not aeration. Aerate normally with the yeast. At bottleing you might want to carbonate slightly higher, but I would just go with the standard bottle carbonation and then see if you like it there you can make adjustments with later brews.

The beer is going to be cloudy from the yeast, so the whirlfloc isn't going to matter.

Yea - that's what I was thinking - if it is cloudy already - why use it. unless it will be REAL cloudy.

2. - yea right - I was reading something else into it. I always aerate (although Palmer says it is not necessary for normal 5 gallon batches) but - it sure is not going to hurt and I have the drill!!.

Odd - my carb site does not have Hefeweizen on it's menu! I was thinking 2.5 to 3 vols. Probably go with 3 or 2.7ish.

Yea - that's what I was thinking - if it is cloudy already - why use it. unless it will be REAL cloudy.

2. - yea right - I was reading something else into it. I always aerate (although Palmer says it is not necessary for normal 5 gallon batches) but - it sure is not going to hurt and I have the drill!!.

Odd - my carb site does not have Hefeweizen on it's menu! I was thinking 2.5 to 3 vols. Probably go with 3 or 2.7ish.

I'd be really, REALLY surprised if Palmer said it isn't necessary to aerate any size batch.

I've never heard anyone say that before. Aeration is absolutely critical for a good fermentation.

Back