WAY overcarbonated brews- HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whisler85

Reaction score
I'm on probably my 15th batch of beer, and to date ive had one beer that was too flat, two or three that were just right, and the rest have been WAY over carbonated. Even the addition of miniscule amounts of priming sugar makes for bottles that foam over when opened, making most of the brews undrinkable (sometimes they can be drank if I treat them like eggshells and pour slowly enough, but sometimes just the opening starts it spurting)

I usually leave my beers in the primary for a minimum of one week, but most of them have spent at least two weeks in the primary, so i don't think i am bottling too early?

Help! I need to figure this out before I invest more money in brews im just going to spill all over the place!

Are you saying you primary for 1-2 weeks then bottle? This is way too soon to be bottling. Also, how long are you letting them sit in the bottles before drinking?

Leave it in the primary for at least 2 weeks. 3 would be better. If you want to bulk age, dry hop etc, move it to a secondary.

Also, you should use some brewing software like Beersmith to calculate your priming sugar. The program asks you how many volumes of CO2 you want and the temperature of the beer. By taking into account the residual CO2, it will tell you exactly how much priming sugar you need by weight. If you really want to nail things down, you need a small digital scale to measure your priming sugar by weight.

Third: leave your beer to bottle condition for 21 days. You might need more if you are priming with DME. Next, move your bottles to the refrigerator for a few days before consuming.

I have a similar problem that I just posted in a seperate string. I have beer that I've had in the primary for 1 week, 2 in the seconday, and 2 in the bottle. Although carbonated, they don't form a good head. I've considered adding additional sugar (small amt) but have been concerned with having the same problem you now are encountering. Is the issue simply just to give the beer more time, rather than more sugar? Thanks!!!

I have a similar problem that I just posted in a seperate string. I have beer that I've had in the primary for 1 week, 2 in the seconday, and 2 in the bottle. Although carbonated, they don't form a good head. I've considered adding additional sugar (small amt) but have been concerned with having the same problem you now are encountering. Is the issue simply just to give the beer more time, rather than more sugar? Thanks!!!

Priming sugar will not give you more head. Using certain types of grain while brewing will help.

check here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/head-retention-82512/

Welcome to HBT!
After reading your post, I'm surprised you haven't had bottle bombs. If I read that correctly, you are bottling 1 - 2 week old beers. I think you will find you have better beer if you leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks before bottling. Putting it in secondary for clearing and aging is optional but you want to make sure the yeast has actually finished their job before bottling.
How much priming sugar are you using and do you have a scale to measure it?

I usually leave my beers in the primary for a minimum of one week, but most of them have spent at least two weeks in the primary, so i don't think i am bottling too early?

Your New Mantra:
Beer Stays In Primary For 2 Weeks MINIMUM!

There are a few standard practices that you will read about that should either be modified or ignored completely! The 1-2-3 rule is one of them! 2 weeks minimum in primary, you can eliminate the secondary completely in most cases, and after 21 days, you're only trying your beer to satisfy your curiosity...then leave it for another 2 - 3 weeks in most cases. If you're doing a wit or a heffe or an IPA or something, there are exceptions, but in general....go as long as you can wait, then give it another week.

I never bottle anything until it has been conditioning for at least 3 weeks, if you bottle early and there is still active fermentation going on then your bottles can easily be over carbed.

Generally after 3 weeks I rack the beer in the bottling bucket overnight after I have put the priming sugar in the bottom. It seems to allow for a very even distribution.

i HAVE tried letting beers ferment in the carboy longer. After having this problem with early brews, i left my chocolate-oatmeal stout in the primary for two weeks, and in the secondary for more than a month! i used wyeast irish ale, and kept it at 68-70 degrees for good attenuation, but two weeks after bottling, it has way to much pressure and way too much head. I have the feeling that incomplete fermentations are my problem. Could it be that my temperature control is bad? Could it be a problem with extract brewing?

i HAVE tried letting beers ferment in the carboy longer. After having this problem with early brews, i 1.left my chocolate-oatmeal stout in the primary for two weeks, and in the secondary for more than a month! i used wyeast irish ale, and kept it at 68-70 degrees for good attenuation, but 2.two weeks after bottling, it has way to much pressure and way too much head. I have the feeling that incomplete fermentations are my problem. Could it be that my temperature control is bad? Could it be a problem with extract brewing?

1. kudos on waiting this long. As long as you can verify that fermentation has stopped by using a hydrometer then you are on the right track.
2. 2 weeks after bottling is TOO SOON. Leave them in bottles for at least 3 weeks at around 70 degrees and THEN leave them in the fridge for at least a week. Due to my public school education i can't explain the chemistry (i'm sure someone here can) but the colder temps in the fridge help the beer absorb the CO2 and makes for smaller bubbles, better head and generally better beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
you said that 1 oz/gal or 3/4 cup/gal was misunderstood? how so?

Actually its 3/4 cup per 5gallon, looks like you misunderstood too.

The actual amount varies by style, if you don't care about style then the 1oz per gallon or 3/4 cup per 5 gallons is fine. If you want to prime it for style, then use this:

The Beer Recipator - Carbonation

i HAVE tried letting beers ferment in the carboy longer. After having this problem with early brews, i left my chocolate-oatmeal stout in the primary for two weeks, and in the secondary for more than a month! i used wyeast irish ale, and kept it at 68-70 degrees for good attenuation, but two weeks after bottling, it has way to much pressure and way too much head. I have the feeling that incomplete fermentations are my problem. Could it be that my temperature control is bad? Could it be a problem with extract brewing?

1. kudos on waiting this long. As long as you can verify that fermentation has stopped by using a hydrometer then you are on the right track.
2. 2 weeks after bottling is TOO SOON. Leave them in bottles for at least 3 weeks at around 70 degrees and THEN leave them in the fridge for at least a week. Due to my public school education i can't explain the chemistry (i'm sure someone here can) but the colder temps in the fridge help the beer absorb the CO2 and makes for smaller bubbles, better head and generally better beer.

check this out.
...aw
you beat me to it.

This movie should be in a sticky somewhere

ok, that calculator told me to use only 3.52 oz.... nowhere near 3/4 cup... is that the accurate measurement for me? I didn't fully understand the "desired volume of CO2" slot but just put the amount (2.2) that it said for amber ale.

Yes and No, what it shows is that an American Amber should have between 2.2 and 2.8 volumes of c02. So you choose your desired amount, ie 2.5, and it will tell you how many oz of sugar to use. So in your case, you could use anywhere from 3.5 ish to 5.25 ish oz of sugar and be within style guidelines.

SO if you have been using 3/4 cup or 5 oz of sugar in the past and it is giving you too much carbonation, then you could use this to alter the amount while still being to style.

+1 on measuring by weight rather than volume. 3/4 cup of sugar isn't always the same 3/4 cup each time. It can pack down or be looser in the cup. Weight is always the same.

+1 on measuring by weight rather than volume. 3/4 cup of sugar isn't always the same 3/4 cup each time. It can pack down or be looser in the cup. Weight is always the same.

Well said. Always go by weight and not volume. You can pick up an Ecko kitchen scale at Wal-Mart for less than $10 so price isn't really a barrier on this one.

Back