Experimental Hops 5256

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPlan00

Reaction score
I bought these hops from Farmhouse Brewing Supply. Here was the description:
EXP 5256
Current AA__17.0%more info...
Beta: 5-6%
CoH 27%
Total Oil 3.1 Ml/100g
Experimental variety from Hop Steiner. Bred form Apollo and Merkur. Light Grapefruit, Citrus, Pine, and Mint notes. Also has dark fruit and Strong herbal notes. Some say Simcoe and Summit like.

I was going to do a Pale Ale SMaSH with these this weekend. I was interested to take a whiff of them, so I cracked open a bag today. Whoa. Not sure how to put it, but the description was darn close. I also got lemon and dill. Not sure how these will go over anymore.

Has anyone brewed with these yet? I also have not used Apollo or Merkur.

Thanks for asking!

Finishing primary fermentation now. Did the same grist and two separate boils. All Citra in one and EXP 5256 in the other. I have made the Citra many times with this grist. The EXP 5256 smells great in fermentation. I am not worried about these hops anymore. Can't wait to dry hop with them and drink. Will definitely update then.

I just purchased some myself, the description sounds great, had to give it a shot. Very interested in your experience with this.

Kegged on April 2 and primed with corn sugar. I tried it today and I really like these hops. I'd say the description was pretty close. Smells great and tastes great. Not as fruity as say Citra, though definitely citrusy. More rounded to my tastes. Haven't yet tried it side by side with the Citra Pale I brewed. May update thread again after that taste test.

A local brewer did a single hop pale ale with several varieties. 5256 came across as tropical fruit, mostly passion fruit, with some spicy notes. It was a great hop and look forward to using it in an IPA in the works.

i just brewed up an APA yesterday with a ton of late hops: 4 oz of 5256, 2 oz cascade, and 1.5 simcoe. smelled predictably awesome. going to dry-hop with 5256 if i have any left in the freezer (don't remember if i ordered 4 or 8 oz total).

will update again once i'm drinking this batch.

i just brewed up an APA yesterday with a ton of late hops: 4 oz of 5256, 2 oz cascade, and 1.5 simcoe. smelled predictably awesome. going to dry-hop with 5256 if i have any left in the freezer (don't remember if i ordered 4 or 8 oz total).

will update again once i'm drinking this batch.
i didn't have any left in the freezer, so ended up dry hopping with mosaic, cascade and chinook.

beer was awesome, a huge hop bomb, but not surprisingly i couldn't quite pick out the 5256's contribution amid all those other strong hops. will need to make a SMaSH with this some day.

Back