Partial mash ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguin69

Reaction score
Can someone explain partial mash? Is this the kits that have the grains that you steep first before adding your malt or is it something different.

No,extract kits with steeping grains are called as such.
Partial mash is where some 50% of the total fermentables come from mashing the grains. Also called mini mash. Some extract,typically 3-3.3lbs is added to bring the gravity up to where it is intended to be per the recipe. I use the freshly made wort for all hop additions. Then add the LME or DME as a late addition to keep color lighter & no twang.

As Uniondr said specialty grains are with most extract kits and add flavor, color, and mouthfeel but add little in the way of fermentables. Partial mash adds 3-4 pounds of base grain that turn into fermentables.

So can you buy partial mash kits or do you just have buy all your ingredients separately?

You can buy partial mash kits starting at $25 dollars from midwest & the like. Has everything you need,& Grains can be pre-crushed as well. And the kit I got had 5lbs of grains,3.3lb jug of plain gold LME.

Partial / mini mashes are a good way to get an idea of the time and effort between an all extract brew and all grain. It'll add about an hour to your brew day, maybe even a little more, because you end up performing the mash of an hour and sparge the grain at the end. I only did one partial / mini mash kit before going all-grain BIAB. The process of the partial / mash answered many of the lingering questions I had, and it made a ran good beer!

So can you buy partial mash kits or do you just have buy all your ingredients separately?

Either way. I am brewing my first partial mash this afternoon. Austinhomebrew.com I believe has every kit they offer in partial mash form. Midwest has a decent selection and most others have some.
I have brewed a couple extract kits and just read around here and the internet and was able to throw together a minimash by modifying recipes on here with knowledge of what I liked and conversion between grains and extract. I saved a little bit of money by buying hops and DME in a little larger quantities to use later and that is the advantage of buying ingredients seperate.

Check out the stickied post on partial mash at the top of the beginner forum it was a HUGE help for me.

Latest posts

Back