60 minute mash when recipe called for 90 min

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
I am currently brewing an IPA that called for a 90 minute mash. Stupidly I overlooked this and only mashed for 60. I do not have iodine for the conversion test so i dont do that. Grain bill was 11# pale malt, 1# munich and .75# caramel 60L. What could be some consequences/changes that result from my stupidity??

Recipe did not specify any preboil gravities and i havent finished brewing yet so no other readings have been taken yet

Not quite sure why the recipe called for a 90 minute mash. the ingredients listed are typical of an IPA, I use them in mine and my mash is for 60 minutes and they turn out wonderful with no issues.

I have followed recipes that call for 90 minute mashes and have only done them with 60 and they have all turned out great. Are you sure it was not a 90 minute boil?

I really think it will be fine:mug:

Recipe calls for 90 min mash and 90 min boil. I guess i will see how it turns out, then re-brew using a 90 min mash and compare. Glad to have some reassurance that it shouldnt be a problem.

With that grainbill, I don't see a need for a 90 minute mash. Or even a 60 minute mash, probably. Those malts will convert in as little as 20 minutes with a mash temp in the mid-150s. Mashing cooler might mean it might take longer, but certainly not longer than 60 minutes.

Latest posts

Back