Controlling Fermentation Temp with a Dorm Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a Johnson Controls external thermostat hooked up to the dorm fridge; haven't used it for fermenting yet, still testing to make sure it's going to work right. Dumb question, but you're sure the dorm fridge will hold a carboy / bucket / whatever you ferment in? I had to bend the freezer section out of the way (with all the coolant lines); didn't spend a dime until I had that done without breaking anything.

Not a dumb question...

Nope I'm sure it won't fit... I was thinking of putting cardboard or maybe (if I can get the $$) putting plywood and insalation on the sides, top, and bottom...again like this http://byo.com/feature/13.html

I've got a cup of water with a meat thermometor in it right now set on the lowest setting. I've got class at 6-10 and when I get home I'll check the temp to see if I need an external temp or not.

Anyone have any hints/tips with this sorta thing?

Thanks bird

Sorry, didn't read the article! Too busy, I shouldn't be replying... ;)

I know that Dude made a cold box under his bar using a dorm fridge. Seemed like it was working well for him. Search for his "Bratwurts...." thread, you might get some ideas. Basically, I think you just need to insulate the hell out of whatever you end up building; if you insulate it well enough, there are no leaks, and you've got a decent thermal load in the box, it should work reasonably well.

Now, to get proper fermentation temps, you'll still need some type of external temperature controller.

EDIT: This thread... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14907

Hmm...maybe Dude is onto something..

After thinking about it for awhile I've got an idea.

What if I build a cabinet just an inch or so taller than a carboy + airlock and insulate it with this nasty floor rug I've got in the garage (it's just nasty bc it's ugly as sin...came with the house) and took the door off of the fridge and mount it near the top of the cabinet. The fridge would have to be raised like on a stool or something but I'm sure I could rig it up... I'll try to sketch out an idea on paint

I don't live too far from the ghetto so I think it'll pass...

Sorta like this....

cab.jpg

the proportions are off bc I suck with paint but I think you can get the idea...

I tested the lowest setting on it last night. When I got back from class (4hrs later) it was holding at 50* so maybe I can use it as a lagering chamber for now....could be cool I've never done a lager.

Does anyone see anything wrong with insulating it with an old rug? Too ghetto??

Thanks

ahh very good point...

maybe I could sandwich the rug between the wood and something else? Like so:

sandwich.jpg

anyone have a sugestion as to the cleanable surface? another piece of wood would be easy but how cleanable would it be?

Maybe plexiglass? I recently put in a "security" grade plexiglass window bc our dogs always look out the window and they eventually broke it. It was pretty easy to work with and I'm sure the lesser grades (cheaper) would work well for this.

any ideas?

Thanks guys

Personally, I would scratch the rug idea and first try constructing a cabinet from duct tape and a sheet of styrofoam or some other rigid foam insulation. You'll get a much more insulated enclosure than any rug/wood combo (regardless of how shaggy the rug may be) and it'll be a heck of a lot easier to build and tweak the design. Once you get a setup that works (I like the idea of putting the mini-fridge on a stool or platform) then build a wooden cabinet around the styrofoam structure to add durability and nice looks.

I have one of these little fridges, too, and this is the route I plan on taking to build a ferm cabinet for it. Let us know if you are able to pull this off without a temp controller.

Insulation isn't that expensive. Do it the right way. If you get it insulated properly, it shouldn't end up costing you much more to operate than the fridge by itself.

hmm yeah it does look like the rug would be my demise...

maybe I could just suck it up and buy the styofoam stuff people are using for the son of fermenation chambers... I think they are like $10 a sheet at Lowes and they are 4x8 so I would only need 2 (hopefully)

I think for lagers it would work without a temp controller

After I get paid next I'll start construction....in the mean time though I'll look at what wood I've got in the garage and maybe make the platform for the fridge.

I've also got to buy some carboys...i've been using buckets but if i'm going to be doing lagers then i don't know if I would trust it in plastic.

any more ideas would be greatly apprechiated

I'm a better brewer than I am a carpenter......and I wouldn't say I'm THAT great of a brewer...

I just got done cutting my wood for my lager chamber....it'll work but it is deffinatly not straight. Some "great stuff" and I'll be good to go.

I picked up a 4x8 3/4in piece of plywood this morning...and I checked the price of the sheets of insulation. They are only $9 so I'll buy one tomorrow after work and get it up and going.

I'll post some pics if it looks somewhat ok

HA thats awesome...

Don't know why (maybe bc I used to be a stoner?) but I LOVE old school vans like that..

I'd LOVE to customize a sweet old van...my girlfriend on the otherhand thinks I'm weird but thats ok.........she scrapbooks

Back