dog farts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_narbrew

Reaction score
so i brewed a batch of witbier beer a week or so ago. it's been in the primary, and i opened it tonight because something smelled off. when i opened the lid the beer smelled like dog farts (well, very sulpher-y). it has been in the fermenter longer than i wanted it to be, because i was waiting for my kaffer lime leaves to come so i could put them in the secondary. it has been between 65 - 75 degrees in my apartment since i brewed the beer. any thoughts on why it smells like this? my plan was to add some more lime zest and the lime leaves to the secondary and then bottle after a few days. should i continue with the beer to see how it turns out or just scratch it because it has gone bad?

here is the recipe i brewed:

Margarita Wit

Size: 5 gal
Ingredients:
2.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
2.0 lb Pale Wheat Malt
1.0 oz Hallertau (3.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
3.3 lb Liquid Wheat Extract
0.5 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 lb Agave Syrup
0.5 tsp Wyeast Nutrient - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
0.5 oz Amarillo (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
2.0 tsp Corriander crushed - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
.25 oz Orange Peel (dried) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min
.25 oz Lemon peel (dried) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min
0.5 oz Amarillo (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min
zest of 3 limes - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min
.5 g Seeds of Paradise - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min
1.0 ea WYeast 3944 Belgian Witbier

Some yeasts give off a sulfury smell. I've personally never had it with that yeast, but I ferment at exactly 66F throughout the whole fermentation. It'll go away.

And for future reference, they're referred to as "rhino farts".

I did a batch with WLP300 Saterday, and its spewing sulphur stench.

ha rhino farts. great. well it has gone away and this stuff is ready to bottle. thanks for the advice. i have no idea how this stuff is gonna turn out. anyone else have any experience with brewing with lime? i added more lime zest and some kaffir lime leaf in the secondary

I have been kicking around the idea of brewing with lime zest and your recipe looks good. Let us know how it turns out :mug:

yeah i've only brewed a dozen or so batches but i've never had the rhino fart situation. now that i think of it the only other wheat beer i made i used rogue pacman yeast, so that may be why it didn't get stinky.

I don't use 3944 but do use a WLP hef yeast that my wife won't let in the kitchen because the fermentation sulfer smell is so strong.

I use 3944 for all my Wit's and Heff's. I have found that temps must remain very consistent to avoid the "Rhino Farts." Any fluctuation even within a few degrees seems to produce give off smells.

Latest posts

Back