Is there a place for dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewOnBoard

Reaction score
For my first few batches I've used both dry yeast and smack packs. While I admit the smack packs are way more fun, they're also more expensive and difficult for someone with limited refrigeration abilities (me).

Is the general consensus that liquid yeast usually makes a better beer or are there some award winners that use dried yeast?

If it is so, are there any techniques I can use with dried yeast to help it come out as good as liquid?

BrewOnBoard

Unless you're making something that needs a specific yeast (belgian beers and wits for example) dry yeasts are just fine! People brew award winning beers with dry yeast all the time. Most popular styles work great with them. Pale ales, IPA, stout, porter, brown ale, anything like that.

Even with high OG beers, they're great. You don't have to buy a smack pack and make a starter and step it up and all that. You just just buy two or three packs of dry yeast, hydrate them while you brew and pitch 'em in to get your proper cell count.

S-04 and S-05 are my two favorite go-to yeasts. One for american styles and one for british styles.

Danstar Nottingham and SafAle US-05 are both excellent yeasts. Rehydrating the yeast can help reduce lag time. But I never rehydrate. I just pitch the dry yeast right in.

I actually switched to using dry yeasts about a year ago because of the cost difference compared to the smack packs. Unless I'm looking for a particularly esoteric yeast characteristic, I use either Nottingham or US-05 for just about every beer I brew.

After learning about osmotic shock, I ALWAYS rehydrate my yeast to give them the best chance. But back when I just sprinkled it on the wort I never had any problems. I just figured that it's only one easy extra step and it gives me healthier yeast.

My brewery is the place for dry yeast (and yours can be too!). It's all I use, and I swear by it. Most beers get US-05 or nottingham. Wheat beers will get a wheat yeast (like WB-06) Some beer gets a specialized yeast, like K-97, S-33, or windsor. I have yet to use liquid yeast and have yet to be dissatisfied with a batch based on yeast choice.

List me as a 90% dry yeast brewer. I've made over 100 batches and most of them have been with dry. It's a rare occasion when I buy liquid and that has been just for very specialized brews.

Unless you're making something that needs a specific yeast (belgian beers and wits for example) dry yeasts are just fine! People brew award winning beers with dry yeast all the time. Most popular styles work great with them. Pale ales, IPA, stout, porter, brown ale, anything like that.

Even with high OG beers, they're great. You don't have to buy a smack pack and make a starter and step it up and all that. You just just buy two or three packs of dry yeast, hydrate them while you brew and pitch 'em in to get your proper cell count.

S-04 and S-05 are my two favorite go-to yeasts. One for american styles and one for british styles.

Sweet! That's totally what I wanted to hear!:mug:

When you say rehydrate, do you mean "just add water" or do you add water and some sugar or DME to make a starter?

BoB

Rehydrating is just adding warm water, don't make a starter with dry yeasts.

Also, I think you have run up to a big place where new brewers get confused. In the not to distant past most of the good yeasts were hard to come by in dry form, so liquid was the way to go for quality beer. That is still be professed by a lot of people/brew shops, but it is no longer the case. I would venture a guess that most of the seasoned brewers on this board go to US-04, US-05, and Notty for 95% of their brewing. It is only to experiment or do some of the beers where the flavor comes from the yeast that they go back to liquid.

For my first few batches I've used both dry yeast and smack packs. While I admit the smack packs are way more fun, they're also more expensive and difficult for someone with limited refrigeration abilities (me).

Is the general consensus that liquid yeast usually makes a better beer or are there some award winners that use dried yeast?

If it is so, are there any techniques I can use with dried yeast to help it come out as good as liquid?

BrewOnBoard

There's no "general consensus" that liquid yeast is better than dry, or that one makes "award winning beers" more times than the other....There really is no "better" or "worst" in one ingredient over another, or one method of brewing over another in ANY aspect of brewing....it's not the ingredients or the methodology that makes for great beers. it's the brewer....so don't fall into that trap...what is the best in brewing, is what works best for you. There is many ways to skin this cat, and you will find a number of passionate zealots for each way.

I use dry yeast for 99% of my beers, for basic ales I use safale 05, for more british styles I us safale 04 and for basic lagers I use saflager..

The only time I use liquid yeast is if I am making a beer where the yeast drives the style, where certain flavor characteristics are derived from the yeast, such as phenols. Like Belgian beers, where you get spicy/peppery flavors from the yeast and higher temp fermentation. Or let's say a wheat beer (needing a lowly flocculant yest) or a Kholsch, where the style of the beer uses a specific yeast strain that is un available in dry form.

I have found that a lot of new brewers especially, THINK they HAVE to use liquid yeast, but in reality most ales can be made with Notty, Windsor, Us-05, Us-04 and many lagers with basic Saflager.....7-8 bucks a pop for liquid as opposed to $1.50-2.50 for dry, with more cell count, is imho just a waste of money for the majority of a brewer's recipe bank...most commercial ales us a limited range of strains, and those liquid strains are really the same strains that the afore mentioned dry strains cover, for example Us-05 is the famed "Chico strain", so if you are paying 7-8 bucks for Wyeast 1056 American/Chico Ale Yeast, and you STILL have to make a starter to have enough viable cells, then you are ripping yourself off, in terms of time and money....

But if you are looking for a "clean" yeast profile, meaning about 90% of american ales, the 05, or nottingham is the way to go. Need "Bready" or yeasty for English ales, then 04 or windsor. Want a clean, low profile lager yeast- saflager usually does the trick.

That's one thing about dry...you don't need to reproduce anymore yeasts than are already in the packets of dry. Also if you are brewing gluten free, Fermentis (safale/saflager) yeasts are the only true gluten free yeasts available. They are grown on molasses plates as opposed to malt plates. And as long as you only use them for no more that 2-3 re-uses they still remain gluten free (evidently after the 3rd or 4th generation the yeast itself will spontaneously produce gluten.)

There are many schools of thought on how to best use dry...to rehydrate, or pitch on the surface of the beer wait a half hour (rehydrating with wort) and stirring it in, or just pitching it into the fermenter and shaking it up. I've done all three over hundreds of gallons of beer, and I haven't noticed on way working any better that the other....the yeast figured out what to do and did it.

I have adopted the rehydrate on the surface of the fermenter for 30 minutes then give the fermenter a swirl methodology for the last year of brewing. I have worked it into my routine...I sprinkle the yeast on top of the aerated wort, and seal up the fermenter. Then I start cleaning up, or if it's been a long brewing session, just grab a beer and sit for 30 mintues. After that time I move the fermenter into my fermenting closet giving the beer a big shake to mix the rehydrated yeast into the beer. And that's that.

I like dry yeast just fine.

Safale-05 was used for this:
p1040147.jpg

If I was living on a boat I would use dry all the time and not worry about it.

This week in Fairbanks, Alaska there is zero Wyeast 1056, zero WPL001 and zero Safale 05. There is no American Ale yeast in town this week. None.

I am already ranching 1098-Brit Ale, 1056/Chico is the other yeast I use a lot of. If I find S05 first, I'll ranch it.

But I have a room dedicated to brewing. On a boat, yeah, I would use dry only and even think about running two or three brews on the same yeast cake before I open another packet.

M2c.

Count me in the use liquid yeast crowd, but thats only bacause I am a yeast rancher.

My cost of liquid yeast is less per batch than dry, because of splitting.

All that said, I love the ease of dry yeast. I have no fear of dry yeast, In fact, I keep it in the brewshack at all times, and am not afraid at all to use it.

I prolly have a 80/20 split liquid to dry, maybe even close to 85/15, but dry yeast will always have a home in my brews.

If I was living on a boat I would use dry all the time and not worry about it.

On a boat, yeah, I would use dry only and even think about running two or three brews on the same yeast cake before I open another packet.

M2c.

I believe this will be exactly my plan. :D

In the distant future, the dedicated room for brewing will be the plan.:rockin:

BoB

Rehydration is really key though. You can try it on a subtle beer like a blonde ale (I recommend Jamil Zainasheff's blonde ale recipe). Try dumping your dry yeast in one, and rehydrating in another. That's what I did. You'll taste the dead yeast in there for sure. It's not that bad necessarily, and it may benefit a brown ale or something, but It'll be there if you don't rehydrate. Dead yeast can also affect head retention.

I unfairly blamed my first few brewing experiences on dry yeast. The problem was really just me as a brewer at that point. I started using liquid yeast on batch #3 and went about 5 years before giving dry yeast another chance. I was glad I did finally come back around. I still use liquid primarily partly out of habit and partly out of my LHBS pricing (only $5.50 for Wyeast smack pack), but wouldn't hesitate to use a dry yeast if there were a suitable strain for the style I'm brewing.

I use both, maybe 60% wyeast smack packs, and 40% dry. However I always keep a couple of packs of Nottingham, SAf-05 and Saf-04 in my fridge, dry yeast lasts for a very long time, is cheap and is good in a pinch. I've rescued more then one batch of beer just by dumping a packet of Saf-05 or Nottingham in the primary.

Like Revvy mentioned, use what works for you. A few packs of dry yeast in a zip lock bag takes up pretty much no refrigerator space.

Several people have mentioned Wheat beers requiring liquid yeast. Has anyone tried MUNICH WHEAT BEER YEAST

munich.jpg

I bottled my hefeweizen last weekend using this, so hoping it turns out good.

I use both with success. I usually use Nottingham as my standard "neutral" yeast for Pale Ales/IPAs, etc. I don't use Safale yeasts any more after the price increase, but I really liked those as well. I use liquid yeasts for pretty much everything else.

I usually harvest 4 small vials of yeast from each liquid yeast starter I make and freeze it with glycerin for later use, which brings down the cost per batch significantly over time.

All my best beers are with dry S05/04. Not going back to liquid - don't see the point.

Temperature control in fermentation is way more important than the dry vs liquid debate as is sanitation procedures.

Have not noticed any difference in re-hydrating vs dry pitching the packet.

I'm quickly becoming a big fan of S-04 & US-05. I'm still pretty green when it comes to brewing, but I've really enjoyed the cost benefit and clean flavors I get. I washed my S-04 from my last brew and plan on reusing this on future brews soon.

I still am about 80/20 when it comes to using dry/liquid, mostly when it comes to specialty brews.

Back