fusel headache? Homebrew ruined my day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSBrewer

Reaction score
Batch #4 was a Papazian recipe, a German dark with 6 lbs. Muntons dark LME and a pound of rice extract. Gravity samplings along the way were De-Frickin'-Licious! After being in the bottle for 13 days I opened a 1/2 liter bottle. about a third of the way through I felt a vague headache sensation but figured I'd just have a couple of aspirin later and it'd be fine. I chased the first bottle down with another. Took 3 aspirin before bed. Woke up the next morning extra early with that feeling of unease that you get when you've had cheap beer. It's like your body's saying "dude, you'd better get up, have some coffee and start moving around or you're gonna have a bitchin' headache." I felt pretty terrible for most of the day.

So, from the reading I've done on here my guess is this is because I fermented in the low to mid 70s, although my first batch was higher than that and it turned out fine. My question then becomes: will more time in the bottle make this any better, or am I going to have to suffer through this fearful love-hate relationship with this very tasty batch of dark?

Yup, time will fix a lot of things with beer. Hide it from yourself for a few weeks.

Back