What to pair with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
17 year Locusts?

I have a bunch of softshells. I was thinking of a Scampi over fresh Angel Hair. Only problem is what to serve with it :D?

Yeah man. :D

I ate them. They remind me exactly of soft shell crabs, texture-wise. Flavor-wise, I suppose similar, but without the nuance of the sea. Very very tasty and I don't say that lightly.

1/4 lb Butter
1/4 oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Large cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 Cup chopped Flat leaf Parsley
1 Cup Dry/Semi-Dry White Wine
~20 Live 17 year Locusts (keep them in the fridge, they live a long time)
Salt
1/2 Lemon juiced
2 Tbs Butter (room temperature)

In a Saute Pan, heat the Butter, Garlic, Olive Oil and a little Sea Salt over medium heat. When the Butter begins to Foam, add the Wine. When this begins to reduce, let it go about 30 seconds like that, increase the heat to medium-high, wait 10 to 15 seconds and then toss in the Parsley and Locusts. Toss briefly, and cook about 2 minutes. Flame out, squeeze the lemon, add the last Butter addition and toss lightly. Serve immediately over fresh Angel Hair Pasta. Garnish with a sprig of Parsley, salt lightly with Gray Sea Salt. Drizzle some high quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil around the edge of the bowl and a grating of Parmesiano Reggiano if you prefer. Serve with a Baguette and a side of Cannelini with Escarole, Garlic, Tomato, Olives, Capers.

It was wonderful :D

Oh I had Pinot Grigio from a local Winery with it.

Dumb question ...... live locusts? But don't you have hot buttery locusts jumping out of the pan to escape the heat? :)

How did you get them? Using a butterfly net?

Actually they didn't even wander in the morning when I collected them, too cold. So I just walked along and picked them off the grass, etc. The most they did was drop to the ground. I had about several hundred within 10 minutes.

Dumb question ...... live locusts? But don't you have hot buttery locusts jumping out of the pan to escape the heat? :)

I think they die in about 5 seconds, it's really quick. Plus I kept them in the fridge and that slowed them down to not moving at all. :D

Yeah, pretty weird I know. But man, I am not just saying this, they were really good.

Hey, I'll try anything once.

Might take a little convincing to get SWMBO to try it, but I'm on board. :)

Picture?

How are they "seventeen-year" locusts?

Judging from everything else, I'd say a light, peppery, fruity Belgian. But maybe that's just because I'm into those right now.

Is this one of those "brewing with pork" joke threads, or are you seriously discussing what beer best goes with eating locusts?

If the latter, can I be the first to suggest you try making some locust vodka? :D

By "17 year locust" you mean Cicada right? Yeah, as good as buttery, wine-cooked goodness might sound, this is almost too hard to believe. Nevertheless, you've got me wanting to try some, haha.

Yes, I am totally serious. And yes, it was indeed awesome :D. I couldn't find the camera I was so ticked. But on top of the homemade Angel Hair Pasta it was so nice. I was thinking of a Tripel with it, but went with the Pinot Grigio instead. If you like Soft-Shell Crabs, you'll like them.

17 year Locust is actually a periodical Cicada that emerges every 17 years. The next emergence of this particular brood is set for 2025. :) They emerge in such massive numbers that there is no way you can stop them. Fortunately they only do minor damage to trees where they lay their eggs in the thin branches.

800px-530937661_c29fba0c57_b.jpg

Here is a link with brood maps, etc for more reading.

The consumption of Cicada (among other insects) is culturally for Americans a big hurdle. But if you've eaten Crab, Lobster, etc...you are right in the ballpark.

I haven't seen any around my place yet. I did spray some nematodes around at the end of last summer to kill the japanese beetle grubs, maybe that got the cicadas too. Haven't noticed any in the neigborhood either, but I haven't been home much the past few days

If I can get some I will absolutely try it. We're going to a wine tasting/barbeque on Saturday and I think it would be a blast to grill some up.

I assume one needs to get them first thing in the morning while the exoskeleton is still soft. I'm thinking a dry rub, maybe with a little egg whites tossed in so it sticks to them, and then a little bbq sauce for dipping.

If they really are soft shell crab-like, then I've go a very dry Muscadet form the Loire Valley

I haven't seen any around my place yet. I did spray some nematodes around at the end of last summer to kill the japanese beetle grubs, maybe that got the cicadas too. Haven't noticed any in the neigborhood either, but I haven't been home much the past few days

If I can get some I will absolutely try it. We're going to a wine tasting/barbeque on Saturday and I think it would be a blast to grill some up.

I assume one needs to get them first thing in the morning while the exoskeleton is still soft. I'm thinking a dry rub, maybe with a little egg whites tossed in so it sticks to them, and then a little bbq sauce for dipping.

If they really are soft shell crab-like, then I've go a very dry Muscadet form the Loire Valley

I can bring you in some if you'd like. :D.

Do you have to de-wing and de-leg them or does it stay soft enough it won't get caught on the way down? If they taste like soft shell crab I'd suggest adding them to a nice pad thai and pairing with a crisp lager!

That really sounds good, I just don't know if I could get over the eyes. Everything else seems edible though. So now I'm wondering when Red Lobster is going to have Cicadafest.

Do you have to de-wing and de-leg them or does it stay soft enough it won't get caught on the way down? If they taste like soft shell crab I'd suggest adding them to a nice pad thai and pairing with a crisp lager!

Yeah, no worries with that as long as you catch them just after they molt. I did some last night in a Thai Red Curry actually, unfortunately they got kinda lost in the flavor...but a Phad Thai might be great. The texture is near identical to Soft-Shell Crab, the flavor is sort of similar, but not exact. I am having a hard time trying to pinpoint a similar flavor...but I will say this, they taste nice.

That really sounds good, I just don't know if I could get over the eyes. Everything else seems edible though. So now I'm wondering when Red Lobster is going to have Cicadafest.

The red eyes turn dark when you cook them. It's really not all that hard once you take the plunge :D

I really tried to get over the idea of eating bugs, but I can't deal with consuming the exoskeleton. It gives me the willies.

We're actually one of the few cultures that doesn't eat insects. I'd try it! If you've ever had soft-shelled crab, you've eaten an exoskeleton.

And "locusts" are large Old-World grasshoppers that plague much of Africa, etc. Cicadas are the proper name for what you're talking about.

We're actually one of the few cultures that doesn't eat insects. I'd try it! If you've ever had soft-shelled crab, you've eaten an exoskeleton.

And "locusts" are large Old-World grasshoppers that plague much of Africa, etc. Cicadas are the proper name for what you're talking about.

I haven't :drunk:

Thanks to Zoebisch, I was able to try some cicadas myself, and several of my friends tried them as well. All reports were favorable!!! I probably ate a dozen myself, and would have eaten more but this was at a party with tons of food so I had to pace myself.

I gave them a quick drench in some sugar water (so seasoning would stick)and then onto the grill where they received a generous portion of Old Bay seasoning. They definitely were soft-shelled crab like. Next time, I think I'd give them a drench in some malt vinegar, and then the Old Bay. They were quite good with a little dash of a honey mustard.

cicadas_before.JPG

cicadagrilling.JPG

cicadasserved.JPG

It paired quite well with a Chardonnay - the party was a wine/food pairing potluck
PJJeating.JPG

pjj2ba enjoying the results!

Awesome! How were the wings? I would think you'd want to remove them, but then again, the sight of mutilated bugs would make me even less likely to want to eat them, I think.

When the end of the world comes and we are all living off the land I might try fermenting some locusts or cooking them up with some crickets, but in the mean time I'll have to pass. I am absolutely certain that they probably taste good, but I couldn't look at one and then stick it in my mouth.

Hehe, glad you liked them ;).

They are still emerging, but not to the degree they were. It seems as it's an exponential decay.

I am absolutely certain that they probably taste good, but I couldn't look at one and then stick it in my mouth.

Initially one of our friends couldn't bring herself to touch them, but would have her husband put one in her mouth for her. Eventually though she picked one up herself and popped it in her mouth. All around I think everyone who tried them enjoyed them.

Back