Questions about canning starter wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
I've never done it and just acquired an aluminum 23L pressure cooker. This is my plan, please tell me if it'll work:

1. Make a 4.25 gallon AG batch of 1.040 wort
2. Collect runnings in 1 qt Ball jars (24 or so)
3. Pressure can per instructions (20 minutes)
4. Leave wort at room temp until use

This seems too easy, hence my concern...

I've never done it and just acquired an aluminum 23L pressure cooker. This is my plan, please tell me if it'll work:

You could try doing it in your car while driving. That wouldn't be so easy. But yes, that is the process.

highgravitybacon said:
You could try doing it in your car while driving. That wouldn't be so easy. But yes, that is the process.

Rad, thanks!

The only thing you don't mention is the pressure. IIRC it's 15 psi.

It is just that easy. I did a couple of gallons myself yesterday. I did not go with AG wort though.

I read an article on the Maltose Falcons' club site awhile back. I have been doing what the article suggests ever since.

A pinch of yeast nutrient per jar. Quart jars get 90 grams of DME. Pint jars get 45 grams. Top with water and shake until dissolved. Then they get 15-20 min at 15 psi. Super simple and I always have starter wort on hand.

This is awesome. You know, I've got a bit of DME stored for starters, I think I'll use that up first before making AG starter wort. I'm snagging an older Presto cast aluminum pressure cooker this afternoon for $25, apparently works like new. I'm stoked.

Everything worked. I only did 1 batch (7 quarts) to test things out and I'm happy to report I am still alive!
image-88238449.jpg

Back