Frozen Concentrate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

315er

Reaction score
So... This weekend i racked my 6 gallons of cider to get ride of the dead crap at the bottom. Fermentation had completely stopped, hydro was at or below 1.0. I took 2 liters out and stuck in the fr##$r for another project. To make up the air space i filled the carboy back up with frozen concentrate (3 cans). All juice + ascorbic acid, no preserves.

Now, will 3 cans dissolved into almost 6 gallons start fermenting again? If i bottled it now would it be the same as priming? Should i wait it out an watch for bubbles?

Well the sugar in the concentrate is definitely great food for the yeast, and as long as they are not dead or gone, than they will likely start up again and you will have just upped the abv a bit. I don't know the proper amounts of priming with concentrate, so you will have to wait for someone more experienced to tell you if that is too much for priming sugar.

99% chance it will start fermenting again. If you still have the cans, you should be able to find the number of grams of sugar per serving and the total servings. I have some 12 oz. cans of Treetop: 28 grams of sugar per serving and 6 servings per can. So, one can of that would be about right for priming.

I've heard hear a few times "1 can for standard carbonation", and "2 cans for heavy carbonation".

However, with 3 cans, you are risking bottle-bombs.

nick

I have nice collection of champagne bottles, you can't blow them up. I added yeast + sugar to my last batch before bottling. Turbo drunkeness

it's been 24 hours and nothing is happening

also.. i see this happen a lot of here, people throw around quantities lbut never quantify it with carboy size. Like the previous post, is that based on 3.5, 5, or 6 gallons. I have all those size carboys.

Generally, unless someone states a different size, we talk about 5 gallon/23L batches and standard beer bottles.

I'm surprised you aren't seeing any fermentation yet, but since you are using champagne bottles, I'd say bottle away. The only time I've see one of those burst it was being cooled with dry ice.

Latest posts

Back