El Catador Club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$126 for 5 bottles of mystery BA beers, one of them will be a BA Hunahpu, a t-shirt and a10% discount at the tasting room, plus first shot at some other unnamed limited run beers. I can't remember what I paid for a t-shirt ($20?), the BA Hunahpu was $25, if you are lucky enough to get one. IF you lived close enough to the brewery to go once a month and spent $50 each time, that would be $5x12=$60. So the final 4 BA beers would be about $5 each. If I lived closer, I surely would have done it. I believe the kicker is that the 5 beers will all be barrel aged and one of them will be a Hunahpu.

Edit* Brandy BA Hunahpu is selling on a beer auction site for $150-177 a single bottle. There is one bottle currently up for auction that is sitting at $86 with 2 days left. .

I won a chance to buy a barrel aged 2013 Hunahpu this year in their youtube drawings. They were $25 and were dipped in wax. I still have three regular 2013's from March 9th and know that if you stuck around at the brewery once the crowds thinned out at 6:30 pm, you could've bought as much of the regular hunahpu as you could carry once they opened it up to case sales.

It's really not a mystery what they'll be serving up this year in their barrel series if you follow them on facebook. One is guaranteed to be a barrel aged hunahpu. One is going to be a Marshall Zukov. The first one up should be a barrel aged good gourd and another is something they're aging in tequila barrels (I hope it's horchata). I'm betting the last will be a barrel aged sweet stout.

Living near Jacksonville, it's not such a bad drive to go and pick them up. Considering you do get five barrel aged 750 ml beers, the t-shirt and 10% off in the tap room plus an early crack at other specialty beers and the ability to designate a beer mule if you can't make the trip..... not a bad idea! :)

image-83559498.jpg

It sure looked like they had plenty of BA beers going when I was there last month!
I didn't get a good shot of that back wall, it was stacked to the ceiling with barrels, you can see the white painted lids in the background.

Attachments

• image-157164640.jpg
    image-157164640.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 176
  • image-2464686667.jpg
    image-2464686667.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 177
  • image-304317208.jpg
    image-304317208.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 172
El Campeador Strong Dark Ale, Cherry cordial whiskey stout and guava grove in chardonnay casks.

Awesome. Well, there goes my theories. :D

aiptasia said:
El Campeador Strong Dark Ale, Cherry cordial whiskey stout and guava grove in chardonnay casks.

Awesome. Well, there goes my theories. :D

Those were the only barrel pics I took, the entire back wall (the ones with the painted lids) was unlabeled. There was also 6 or 8 barrels labeled for Knightly Spirits (a small chain of liquor stores in Orlando). I'm sure they will be rolling different beers through barrels all year. Barrel aged Horchata sounds amazing, Horchata was the most impressive beer in the tap room when I went. I was so impressed with it, I emailed Wayne about it, he responded 10 minutes later.

Yep. I talked to the red bearded guy that's opening up Angry Chair brewing last time I was there. He was bar backing, and he let me know it was basically just two row, a little lactose sugar and the horchata spices (almond, cinnamon, vanilla). I didn't ask him what hops were in play but i'd suspect something very light and noble .

Correction, the first beer is out Wednesday. Looks like i'll be driving down Thursday with a few friends of mine.

I checked with CC to verify yesterday, but we have until the end of our membership to pick up all bottles. So no need to make a long trip for every release. Just FYI.

Nice. I thought we had until 30 days after the end of the bottle release. Glad you verified.

Still driving down. It gives us something to do, and it's not that far of a drive for us. Plus, i'm feening for a medianoche sandwich at Aguilas for lunch.

So, today is the day. I am still unclear how they will offer extra bottles online. They also said the would send an email detailing the extra bottle sale, which they have not. Any ideas?

No idea on my end. I think they're still trying to figure that one out themselves. Since the sales will be online, i'd keep a watch on the emails.

This was in the last email:

Forgotten Island Reminder
Tomorrow at 11am in the tasting room we'll start the distribution of Forgotten Island bottles to club members. Remember, as this is one of the guaranteed bottles in the club, you have until 30 days after the release of the 5th and final bottle to pick up the bottle.

Sales for the additional bottles are still being worked on. We will let you guys know once we've established a date and time!

Cheers!

Just saw that and emailed them. On guy in my homebrew club said they did not have any extra bottles and that they had just enough for members. I asked in my email and they said they have not announced how or when they will sell the extras, leading one to think that there are extra bottles.

Well, you figure a thousand memberships were sold in person at the brewery and 500 or so online. That's a guaranteed 1,500 bottles in stock with probably extras to cover breakage/loss/whatever. To be safe, i'd figure on at least a 10% overstock if not more. It wouldn't surprise me if there were even more than that, say about 2,000 bottles.

My mistake, after reading yesterday's email that just went out. Looks like for this batch, close to 3k of Forgotten Island were bottled up. I'm going to try and buy one more of the Forgotten Islands (one to drink, one to keep) and get two of the 110KT's once they're ready to go.

Made the drive down to the tap room yesterday with a few brewing friends from Jax. Talked a little smack with a few of the bar backs while enjoying the Cafe Americano Double Espresso on nitro and Oatmeal Raisin Cookie. Newer guys i'd never met before. I think one was named Zeus and we I.D.'d him just to prove that was his real name. Pretty cool, he showed off his mixology on us and made us what he called a "Holiday Rape," which was a layered tulip glass of Marshal Zhukov and Good Gourd... and yes, the layering is important. It just doesn't taste the same mixed half glass to half glass.

No word on the T-shirts. I think they are nailing down the design and from what they suspect at the brewery, they'll be a blue shirt for the inaugural catador year. I'm guessing they'll be pressed and ready to pick up or mail out in a few months. With the way my timing has been going, that means next week. ;)

After three rounds, we drove up to Hillsborough just past the stadium and over to Aguilas sandwich shop. We managed to nab a four top table in the center and eavesdrop in our broken Spanish on the local Cuban population. Their papas fritas are awesome, just simple fresh potato fries with no seasoning. Then, of course, we all demolished our Media Noche sandwiches and goofed on the owner a little bit. He came around to see how everything was, and we told him the sandwiches were fine but this was the worst Chinese food we'd ever had. That cracked him up, as well as a few tables of his usual customers listening in on us. Next thing we know, he comp'd us with some Cuban coffees.

Good times. Good fun. :)

This is one of those threads that I get really excited when I see there are new posts.

In for another Forgotten Island and 2 or 3 110k's. Good times. Good drinking.

Forgotten island tried at a friends house the other night. Their bottle, not mine. It's a little hot and very boozy.

Not surprising for 15% and being young. Did they note how long it had been in the barrel?

No. Not sure how long it was barrel aged. I know they were disappointed in the final sales numbers. 1,300+ bottles and only around 900 were sold online. The rest are getting distributed. I had my trustee pick up my second bottle yesterday in Tampa and he was told by the staff to "hang around" for a while. They put more Zhukov in the reach in around 1:30 pm. He already had a bunch of them but picked up two more. I'll probably buy one from him as i'm down to one MZ.

Did everybody get their 110k email today?

I wish. I forgot about it and by the time I remembered, it was Wednesday, so I didn't bother. I heard, based on forgotten island sales, they dialed back this release to around 900 bottles for online sales. I'm still wondering where i'll find the time to pick up the t-shirt.

Looks like there's still some tix to the Hunahpu Vertical dinner at the brewpub. Too rich for my blood, but I know some people going. My designated beer mule is picking up my t-shirt for me. At least that's a minor win.

Back