Bagels, Pizza & Bread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChugachBrewing

Reaction score
New thread because I didn't want to hijack the other one totally. And then you can follow the process. Sorry for the repost, i'll delete the others.

OK. Listen young grasshoppers and I will show you the ways.
Photo/Step 1. Flour. Get this one
base is 1000g flour, 700g h20, 1/2c leaven. mix. wait 40 min.

I'll update as I do the next steps. Also doing a 50 gallon brew today, turbid mash... then AHA conference... so may be late in updating

Photo/Step 2. add salt. 20g is what is standard. i'm watching my sodium (go up) so i use 15. Important to add salt after 30-40 min rest.

Photo/Step 3. This step is optional but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. If you're at home over the next several hours, the bread will benefit from some folds within the bowl, which help gluten development. To fold the dough properly, first imagine the bread within the circular bowl having four sides. Simply reach under one side of the dough, pull up to stretch the dough, then fold toward center. Do the same with the opposite side, then with the other two sides. Shoot for doing this once every 15-20 minutes during the first few hours, then once every half hour thereafter. You will feel it become smoother each consecutive turn.
credit: my good friend Scott P for the narrative.

I've broken mine into two bins as I am doing a quadrouple batch so I have ample dough over the next week for bread and pizza. Need to make some so my wife doesnt' starve while I'm at AHA.

Photo 4 - 4th fold. structure is really there!

2013-06-24 09.20.32.jpg

2013-06-24 10.22.52.jpg

2013-06-24 10.27.13.jpg

2013-06-24 12.33.33.jpg

Same dough for all. Photo is before I did final fold. You can begin to see why these pizzas are the best. :) OK, that wasn't humble. Sorry.

2013-06-24 14.00.48.jpg

Once you've gone through all the steps to make the dough, its time to shape - even for pizza. I am tired and will post photos later. To see what I did today, check the Wild and Lambic forum. It'll be at the top.

See how to shape loaves here:

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the "1/2c leaven. mix."? Are you saying half a cup of leavening, then mix? Half a cup of some leavening mix? Do you just mean yeast? Half a cup is a lot, but that is for like 8.5 cups of flour so I dunno.

1/2 cup leaven, then mix. To be honest, I don't measure the leaven very often. Flour/h2o ratio is more important.

Very nivcw thread Chugach!

:off:
BTW, Chugach National Forest and Chugach Mountains is where I live! Well, for just a couple more months.
:mug:

Dude, not sure what else to say besides that this is the best dough Ive ever made. Thanks for schooling me on the ways, these were without doubt the best pizzas I have ever made. My wife was floored. I could do a better job with the crust, it might be a little big, but I am still learning. Leaps and bounds better than any pizza I have ever made, it was amazing how the folds changed the texture of the dough. I probably did 6-8 folds throughout a 12 hour cold ferment.

Thanks again for all the help!

I made a white pie and a pepperoni, not pictured I topped the white with an arugula salad. I used Peter Rheinhart's no cook sauce recipe for the red.

photo2_zps7e3612a9.jpg

photo3_zps181aa3da.jpg

photo4_zps0a8bbf40.jpg

Roni pie

photo5_zps153664c6.jpg

Man, you really need to put some vids up on yootube about this, or better yet, your blog (which is really cool btw). I've recently taken to kneading with the KA mixer and have been turning out some of the best bread ever, I look forward to experimenting with your folding technique. Thank you.

:mug:

I'll see what I can do. I'm not a web-genius (although a friend of mine is) so I don't know how to incorporate video yet. Maybe in the future :) Hope it works out! I highly recommend Tartine Bread as that is where the method comes from.
Kneading with the KA does work, although this method requires NO kneading! The last bread I did (which was the best so far) I didn't even do any folding. Just mix, add salt, and sit for 4 hours. Good luck!

How much protein is in this flour? That would seem to me to be at least as important as the folding techniques (although flour to water ratio is absolutely critical IMO).

question- when using your 70% water to flour ratio, can you substitute olive oil for water? I made this recipe tonight and it was outstanding, but it needed a bit more flavor for my tastes. I usually make my dough with some added olive oil, and wanted to know if I can substitute some olive oil for water...Or does it have to be all water? Thanks!

Back