New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed I am Richard from RealBeer. I followed the method written by John Palmer. I made a MLT following his instructions, I have a Mashmaster thermometer attached. Foolishly I poured all the contents of the grain bags into the MLT before I suddenly realised they weren't the exact amounts (not thinking ... too hyped up probably). The yield from my first batch (after boiling) was 16L, and perhaps I should have added more water to the boil to keep the amount up. I chilled the wort down to 18 degrees and poured the entire lot into the fermenter. (Again, not thinking.) Pitched the yeast and waited. Fermented for two weeks, cold crashed (in the family fridge - very cooperative wife!) and bottled. I primed using an water/sugar solute, based on Palmer's and another net source's guidelines and bottled. Two weeks later I got the result as outlined above.

I'm annoyed and more than a little embarrassed that I made so many stupid mistakes, especially after reading and re-reading Palmer's instructions and a lot of info from this and RealBeer's posts. WhileI wasn't expecting an Epic clone after all my errors I was disappointed by the outcome ... so far. I really appreciate all the comments and encouragement from everyone. So, batch #2 this Saturday, then it's pizzas in the tandoor oven I have built.

NICE! A Tandoor Oven.
Don't worry too much about not getting it right the first time. I've many numerous mistakes as well, its all part of the learning experience. I made a blonde ale and it didn't go well, 5 months down the line and i finished the batch, as it tasted like vodka for 2-3 monts, and now its amazing.! no more left though. I've over done it on water, and made watery beer... dont ask.
Keep us posted on how you get on, the key is to find a process that works for you. and stick with it.
I'm crusader-Rob on realbeer btw.

At the end of the day, you made beer.
Might not taste like what you wanted, so give it to someone else, who doesn't appreciate good beer :p Keep on brewing though!!!

I forget who I am on RealBeer, but I'm floating around there as well!

Ninja Edit: Any of you on Untappd?

Gidday Lunchie, I saw you on RealBeer a while ago too... can't remember your login though. The second batch is well into its boil, about to do the 2nd hop addition. Apart from the bloody wind blowing the burner out (I was brewing it outside the garage, but have now moved proceedings to the shelter of the back deck) things are progressing well. Fingers crossed.

Gidday Lunchie, I saw you on RealBeer a while ago too... can't remember your login though. The second batch is well into its boil, about to do the 2nd hop addition. Apart from the bloody wind blowing the burner out (I was brewing it outside the garage, but have now moved proceedings to the shelter of the back deck) things are progressing well. Fingers crossed.

Best of luck to you mate. Hope it went well.
Like Lunchie said, its beer, so drink up. haha.

give it some age, let it sit for a bit, and see how it mellows out, like I said my Blonde turned out brilliantly, after some fermentation issues.

Hey Lunchie, I see you went imperial?! Problems? what if anything causedd the medicinal taste? you sure its not just a hot alcohol thing going on??

I'm planning a big one in a couple of weeks, taken inspiration from biermunchers tits up IIPA. But just a half batch.

By the way, I linked your blog through mine.

Hey Lunchie, I see you went imperial?! Problems? what if anything causedd the medicinal taste? you sure its not just a hot alcohol thing going on??

I'm planning a big one in a couple of weeks, taken inspiration from biermunchers tits up IIPA. But just a half batch.

By the way, I linked your blog through mine.

Cheers for the link :mug:
As for the medicinal taste on the IPA/Amber I have no idea aye. It might be the temperature the fermentation was sitting at. It was during a really hot spell and I had the fermenter in the bath and was swapping out a 10L ice block every 4 - 8 hours. The thermometer on the side was reading 20, so put at least another 2 degrees on that and it was probably fermenting at 22 - 24 degrees. Not ideal temps by anyone's standards!

To be fair Rakau are probably a good hop - I have some left so might play with it again, but time will tell!

All about experimenting I guess - lesson from this, get some fermentation temp control ASAP :D

Cheers for the link :mug:
As for the medicinal taste on the IPA/Amber I have no idea aye. It might be the temperature the fermentation was sitting at. It was during a really hot spell and I had the fermenter in the bath and was swapping out a 10L ice block every 4 - 8 hours. The thermometer on the side was reading 20, so put at least another 2 degrees on that and it was probably fermenting at 22 - 24 degrees. Not ideal temps by anyone's standards!

To be fair Rakau are probably a good hop - I have some left so might play with it again, but time will tell!

All about experimenting I guess - lesson from this, get some fermentation temp control ASAP :D

Yeah sounds like fermentation, I had medicinal in my hweat, which settled out after awhile. give it time, she'll be right.
I'm going a IIPA in a couple of weeks, Zythos, Centennial Cascade and Columbus, 11l batch, part mash. first brew when i get back in the house. and do some smaller batches while i get my bre shed done... ther'll be picutre posted on my progess. on the blog

Yeah sounds like fermentation, I had medicinal in my hweat, which settled out after awhile. give it time, she'll be right.
I'm going a IIPA in a couple of weeks, Zythos, Centennial Cascade and Columbus, 11l batch, part mash. first brew when i get back in the house. and do some smaller batches while i get my bre shed done... ther'll be picutre posted on my progess. on the blog

That was my thoughts - the last 4 bottles in my possession are currently hiding in the back of my fridge!

Brewed a Vienna/Orbit SMaSH yesterday. Currently fermenting @ 22ish degrees! Smells DEVINE going in. Massive overshoot, was aiming for 1.063 and hit 1.071 instead! All good though, it'll be beer :tank:

That was my thoughts - the last 4 bottles in my possession are currently hiding in the back of my fridge!

Brewed a Vienna/Orbit SMaSH yesterday. Currently fermenting @ 22ish degrees! Smells DEVINE going in. Massive overshoot, was aiming for 1.063 and hit 1.071 instead! All good though, it'll be beer :tank:

I found with Alcohol heat, the best way to get rid, is standard bottle conditioning, you have a pantry? I'd recommend that, my blonde tasted like vodka, and after 4 months in the bottle, its probably my fav beer. :) Sat in the cupboard for 3 months.

Orbit? Never tried it? Don't those change depending on the season? or am I waaay off the mark?

I found with Alcohol heat, the best way to get rid, is standard bottle conditioning, you have a pantry? I'd recommend that, my blonde tasted like vodka, and after 4 months in the bottle, its probably my fav beer. :) Sat in the cupboard for 3 months.

Orbit? Never tried it? Don't those change depending on the season? or am I waaay off the mark?

It's definitely not alcohol, I'm not to worried about it :D

Yeah Orbit from the website:
ORBIT are a blend of hops specially selected out of the New Zealand “Hops with a Difference” breeding programme. Stringent selection processes and long term growing trials can result in some really excellent hops being rejected on agronomic performance or other plant management issues.

Gravity test this morning - 1.072 down to 1.016.
I think the 90min mash and 90min boil have made the Vienna pop, cause its really dominant at the moment! I'm not complaining though!!

Planning a new version of the Chubby Highlander (refer to the Blog) on Waitangi Day!

Anyone got a good Red Ale or RyePA recipe?

Gravity test this morning - 1.072 down to 1.016.
I think the 90min mash and 90min boil have made the Vienna pop, cause its really dominant at the moment! I'm not complaining though!!

Planning a new version of the Chubby Highlander (refer to the Blog) on Waitangi Day!

Anyone got a good Red Ale or RyePA recipe?

nice, that pretty quick moving :)
I was looking at Terrapin Rye ale on here, looks like a good one. would prob have to sub out some hops, but still looks pretty good.
Man this brewing things tough work, I've got like 20 recipes but only a couple of fermenters, and not enough bottle and lots of beer to drink already, girlfirends not drinking so the stocks are building up, lol.
Goit an Imperial IPA next week, just a half batch, might do some half batches for a bit, BIAB.
I've also scored some citra too. So I'll make a half size of the Zombie Dust as well soon.

nice, that pretty quick moving :)
I was looking at Terrapin Rye ale on here, looks like a good one. would prob have to sub out some hops, but still looks pretty good.
Man this brewing things tough work, I've got like 20 recipes but only a couple of fermenters, and not enough bottle and lots of beer to drink already, girlfirends not drinking so the stocks are building up, lol.
Goit an Imperial IPA next week, just a half batch, might do some half batches for a bit, BIAB.
I've also scored some citra too. So I'll make a half size of the Zombie Dust as well soon.

That's after a week. Had a slow starting fermentation but after about 3 days she took off!

I hear ya on the hard work thing - I've got 3 fermenters and at the moment probably about 12 empty crates, not to mention the 500ml/650ml craft bottles I've got lying around!

Good score on the Citra!!!

That's after a week. Had a slow starting fermentation but after about 3 days she took off!

I hear ya on the hard work thing - I've got 3 fermenters and at the moment probably about 12 empty crates, not to mention the 500ml/650ml craft bottles I've got lying around!

Good score on the Citra!!!

HA! Yeah, I've got 9 Dozen 500ml bottle all waiting to be drunk..... Sauvin Saison, Brown Saison, ESB, Apple Stout, Orange Pale Ale, Blueberry Beer, Boysenberry Beer. that doesn't count the 2 dozen 330ml bottle of Apple and Feijoa cider I still have.... thanks God my girlsfriends going to be drinking again after this weekend.

I've got two certainties of Half Batches first one Monday, inspired by this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/tits-up-imperial-ipa-3-time-medalist-2-golds-1-silver-92914/
then afterthat, I'll use some citra for this but as a half batch: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/three-floyds-zombie-dust-clone-303478/

I'm getting power in the garage next month too!

Just finished brewing.
23L of 1.060 APA in the fermenter, US Cascade & Sauvin, with a British Yeast. We'll be interesting to see how it turns out that's for sure!

Nice cruisy brew day!

I am running dreadfully low on beer containment devices. Well, thats not entirely true, I do have a few crates of swappa crate bottles left. I dont really like using them though. Too much! Okay when people are around, but yeah...

Might have to slow down the brewing for a bit. I need to bottle the 5ish L of stout that left in a keg to make way for my hop juice... I mean APA (mmm Simcoe and Amarillo). Its being dryhopped, but nearly ready. I was planning on bottling the rest of the Belgian amber keg, but dont think i have enough bottles.

I also have a dubbel fermenting away right now that doesnt have anywhere to go.

But, I want to keep brewing!!!

Might:
a) get another couple of kegs. They will have to sit outside the fridge and condition. No more room in the fridge
b) brew a couple of sour beers. They can sit around for... forever
c) do both!

sockmerchant said:
I am running dreadfully low on beer containment devices. Well, thats not entirely true, I do have a few crates of swappa crate bottles left. I dont really like using them though. Too much! Okay when people are around, but yeah...

Might have to slow down the brewing for a bit. I need to bottle the 5ish L of stout that left in a keg to make way for my hop juice... I mean APA (mmm Simcoe and Amarillo). Its being dryhopped, but nearly ready. I was planning on bottling the rest of the Belgian amber keg, but dont think i have enough bottles.

I also have a dubbel fermenting away right now that doesnt have anywhere to go.

But, I want to keep brewing!!!

Might:
a) get another couple of kegs. They will have to sit outside the fridge and condition. No more room in the fridge
b) brew a couple of sour beers. They can sit around for... forever
c) do both!

Or d) have a party... Haha.

Hey guys, does anyone have a clue on the water around Auckland? North Shore/Albany area. Or where the best place is to chase one up?
Trying to improve my brewing and I think this is the next step that I need to work on.
Thanks for any help guys.

Yay finally back home after a few weeks on the road working. Good to see my smoothcone has started flowering. Not long now I guess..

l35l1s1i.4ih.jpg

Should be bottling a pale ale using only Galaxy that was left in the fermentor soon too

hey Lunchie where do you get your labels from, that are on your blog?

Not sure about lunchie, but the easiest way is:

1) draw you pictures using whatever software
2) print on laser printer (NOT inket)
3) cut out
4) paint back of label with milk
5) stick on bottle
6) wipe clean

hey Lunchie where do you get your labels from, that are on your blog?

Got them from a site on here. Kiwi guy as well - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f46/beer-labelizer-label-generator-180409/

I paid for the membership ad just play with other images in the background.

Not sure about lunchie, but the easiest way is:

1) draw you pictures using whatever software
2) print on laser printer (NOT inket)
3) cut out
4) paint back of label with milk
5) stick on bottle
6) wipe clean

Pretty much all I do, except I'm a rangi and use an inkjet. Doesn't run to much if you're quick ;)

NZLunchie said:
Got them from a site on here. Kiwi guy as well - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f46/beer-labelizer-label-generator-180409/

I paid for the membership ad just play with other images in the background.

Pretty much all I do, except I'm a rangi and use an inkjet. Doesn't run to much if you're quick ;)

Nice one. Cheers for the hints guys.

Hey lunchie. I'll be making a modified version of your manawabrew pale ale. after you said cascade and mot pair pretty well I thought I'd better give it a go. I took inspiration from your grain bill which in turn obviously came from epic. Difference is I'm getting up further towards 60IBU and bittering with pacific gem.

Nice one. Cheers for the hints guys.

Hey lunchie. I'll be making a modified version of your manawabrew pale ale. after you said cascade and mot pair pretty well I thought I'd better give it a go. I took inspiration from your grain bill which in turn obviously came from epic. Difference is I'm getting up further towards 60IBU and bittering with pacific gem.

Yep, its the same base as Epic, it just works so well. I think next time I do it, I'll sub out the olden Promise for Vienna, my new favourite base malt.

I've got my hands on some Simcoe so I think my next brew after mt Irish Red will be an IIPA, Simcoe, NZ & US Cascade and Centennial. Should be good.

Yep, its the same base as Epic, it just works so well. I think next time I do it, I'll sub out the olden Promise for Vienna, my new favourite base malt.

I've got my hands on some Simcoe so I think my next brew after mt Irish Red will be an IIPA, Simcoe, NZ & US Cascade and Centennial. Should be good.

Yeah I noticed that simcoes around now...
Advice on IIPA, which is what I have in, mash Low at around 65, and go mental on the hops! mines an 11lt batch and ive got 120g in the kettle, plus another 80 in dryhop. lol have fun with it.

Yeah I noticed that simcoes around now...
Advice on IIPA, which is what I have in, mash Low at around 65, and go mental on the hops! mines an 11lt batch and ive got 120g in the kettle, plus another 80 in dryhop. lol have fun with it.

Cheers for the advice. I've got a fair amount of hops in the freezer, so though I'd go nuts. 320g in 23L, should be good enough ya reckon?

NZLunchie said:
Cheers for the advice. I've got a fair amount of hops in the freezer, so though I'd go nuts. 320g in 23L, should be good enough ya reckon?

I think that'll be plenty. Best use alot of late hops. From 15-0 I did a nice buttering at 60 then another at 30 then did 15-10-5-0 in hot whirlpool. Then 2 dry hops as well kettle hops were 120 IBU. Mines more red IIPA.

Had my racist Frenchman last night. Holy crap it's good

I think that'll be plenty. Best use alot of late hops. From 15-0 I did a nice buttering at 60 then another at 30 then did 15-10-5-0 in hot whirlpool. Then 2 dry hops as well kettle hops were 120 IBU. Mines more red IIPA.

Had my racist Frenchman last night. Holy crap it's good

Should work out alright :p

1.2 g/L Simcoe (12.6% Alpha) @ 60
1.2 g/L Simcoe (12.6% Alpha) @ 45
1.2 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 30
1.4 g/L Cascade (9.5% Alpha) @ 15
1.2 g/L Cascade (9.5% Alpha) @ 10
1.2 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 10
1.3 g/L Nelson Sauvin (12% Alpha) @ 10
2.8 g/L Cascade (9.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
1.4 g/L Centennial (9.5% Alpha) @ Dry Hop
1.2 g/L Nelson Sauvin (12% Alpha) @ Dry Hop

You keen for a beer swap?

I bottled my second attempt at an Epic clone the other day ... even tasted about right! I'm now thinking that I need to do another brew, but what to do? What is a Red IIPA, and what type of beer is the Racist Frenchman?

Should work out alright :p

1.2 g/L Simcoe (12.6% Alpha) @ 60
1.2 g/L Simcoe (12.6% Alpha) @ 45
1.2 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 30
1.4 g/L Cascade (9.5% Alpha) @ 15
1.2 g/L Cascade (9.5% Alpha) @ 10
1.2 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 10
1.3 g/L Nelson Sauvin (12% Alpha) @ 10
2.8 g/L Cascade (9.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
1.4 g/L Centennial (9.5% Alpha) @ Dry Hop
1.2 g/L Nelson Sauvin (12% Alpha) @ Dry Hop

You keen for a beer swap?
Most definitely, would be good to try some of those beers you keep talking about. I'll even throw in one of my last Gunslingers graf's, lol. I think the plan will be to do the swap, when your IIPA is done :) and we can swap accordingly, along with maybe another brew?

I bottled my second attempt at an Epic clone the other day ... even tasted about right! I'm now thinking that I need to do another brew, but what to do? What is a Red IIPA, and what type of beer is the Racist Frenchman?

Red IIPa, is what I've kinda called my Double IPa, its similar to the like of Hop Zombie, Tuataras Double Trouble, and 8 wireds Hopwired and Superconducter. It's just a bit darker than those ones.
the other place is the recipe advice thread, and what are you brewing on realbeer, there heap of recipes on those threads, which have been created, by the more experienced guys, who know how flavours meld together etc.

My Racist Frenchman, I have renamed "Code Brown" :) But its a Saison/Belgian Brown, using 3711 yeast. and some simple darker malts to create a nice brown beers, witha red hue to it. Recipe is Partial Mash and is on my blog. :) If you did end up doing it, I'd be interested to try the difference.
If your looking for recipes theres heaps on here, or try Can you brew it for plenty of recipes, they even have 8wired iStout

ooooh.... brown saison sounds good.

I need to brew some more saison. Ran out recently. There's a few things i want to try with saisons.

One, I want to try and do something along the lines of xx bitter by De ranke.

I dont want to clone it, just get something along those lines. Will be doing a saison thats hopped like an apa/ipa. I am still undecided on hops, but keen to see how this kinda hopping schedule will work out using noble hops.

secondly, I want to do a standard saison, then do a secondary fermentation with brett (or maybe at bottling time). I acquired some brett (accidentally) in some bottles of a Tripel I brewed a while ago. There may be some other stuff in there... who knows. Definite horse blanket/barnyard going on there. I've been looking for an excuse to see what i can do with it. Might do a split batch and dose half and leave the rest. See how different they turn out.

I also want to do a really dark saison. Something along the lines of THIS

sockmerchant said:
ooooh.... brown saison sounds good.

I need to brew some more saison. Ran out recently. There's a few things i want to try with saisons.

One, I want to try and do something along the lines of xx bitter by De ranke.

I dont want to clone it, just get something along those lines. Will be doing a saison thats hopped like an apa/ipa. I am still undecided on hopes, but keen to see how this kinda hopping schedule will work out using noble hops.

secondly, I want to do a standard saison, then do a secondary fermentation with brett (or maybe at bottling time). I acquired some brett (accidentally) in some bottles of a Tripel I brewed a while ago. There may be some other stuff in there... who knows. Definite horse blanket/barnyard going on there. I've been looking for an excuse to see what i can do with it. Might do a split batch and dose half and leave the rest. See how different they turn out.

I also want to do a really dark saison. Something along the lines of THIS

Yeah The brown saison is good used 3711 too which kinda makes it I think. I took inspiration from our friend the mad fermentationist And used elements of his light and dark saisons

I've got a belgian IPA coming up later in the year so I'm planning on splitting some wort off with 3711. Your plan sounds good :)

I like 3711, but think I prefer the Dupont strain (Belgian Saison 3724). People say its a pain in the ass, but I've never had it finish higher than 1.005.

I also like WLP566

At some point I'd like to give Wyeast 3725 and Wyeast 3726 a go too.

Most definitely, would be good to try some of those beers you keep talking about. I'll even throw in one of my last Gunslingers graf's, lol. I think the plan will be to do the swap, when your IIPA is done :) and we can swap accordingly, along with maybe another brew?

Sounds good.
I don't have much in stock - summer has been hot :cross:
Flick me a PM on here or on the blog and we can sort something out :D

Sounds good.
I don't have much in stock - summer has been hot :cross:
Flick me a PM on here or on the blog and we can sort something out :D

Will do.
Hey I notice your getting pretty good efficiency? Any Ideas why that is?? Where are you getting your malts from these days? Your still BIAB with no sparge right?

Ok! I have my stuff ready for a belgian sour. I am still trying to decide exactly what I want to brew, but I think its going to be an oud bruin. The plan is to start fermentation with US-05, then 2 days later, I'll pitch the bugs. I will be using White LAbs WLP665.

"Blended culture used to produce the classic beer styles of the West Flanders region of Belgium . A proprietary blend of Saccharomyces yeasts, Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, and Pediococcus, this culture creates a more complex, dark stone fruit characteristic than WLP 655 Belgian Sour Mix."

Sounds good to me. Who the hell knows how this will turn out. Guess we'll see in a year!

Back