Underpitched yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MathiasMicrobrew

Reaction score
Hi all, I brewed up a batch of Northern Brewers Caribou Slobber yesterday and got amazing efficiency and now I'm worried I underpitched my yeast.

The OG was posed to be 1.052 and I ended up with 1.070 at 71 deg! I boiled off a little more than I wanted so that contributed to the high gravity.

I used Wyeast's Northwest Ale and didn't plan on using a starter cause on the 1.052 and I'm afraid I underpitched.

I pitched at 6:30pm Sunday and at 5:00am this morning, the airlock was goin crazy! I'm just wondering if I shld repitch a dry packet of S-04 I have or let it ride out?? And when shld I pitch the dry yeast if I need to?

I'm assuming this was the all-grain version of Caribou Slobber? Not sure what S-09 is, but looking at Northwest Ale yeast, it looks like it's already a slightly lower attenuator, I'd say that's a good reason to pitch a packet of dry yeast. If you brewed the extract version, I'd say that's yet another reason (to avoid finishing at ~1.020). The sooner the better, IMO.

I edited my op and it reposted? But yes its all grain and Safale-04 is a common dry ale yeast. I'm just gonna let it ride out this batch and adjust on the next batch if I'm not pleased lol RDWHHB!

Edited.. S-04 lol its been so long since I even looked at the packets and I don't remember the last time I used dry yeast.

Does anyone know how long you can store packets of dry yeast? They are in my fridge at about 38F. Should I just replace them once a year just incase of emergencies?

Back