Help with faucet placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
Ive got a garage fridge I want to add two faucets too. Its an over under fridge/freezer so I have the option to put the faucets in either the door or in the side of the fridge. I did a little diagram to show the layout of my garage.

Im thinking the option of putting the taps on the wall of the fridge might be better as it will keep the taps from getting bashed against the wall when the door swings open and will limit the amount of movement for the lines. Any thoughts? Any advice or concerns about drilling through the side as opposed to the door?

Image004.jpg

Just watch the cooling lines most likely run through the sides of the fridge. When I drilled mine I started very small bit and worked my way up in hole size till I could probe around and feel if I was going to catch a cooling line. Almost punctured one anyway so be careful if that's where your going to drill

Yeah, if you're comfortable not hitting the coolant lines, the side can be better situated. Personally, I wasn't confident enough in my abilities to not brick my fridge, so I went with the door. I wouldn't worry about hitting the taps on the wall, since a handle on the door will often hit first. If nothing else, use a spare keg to protect the wall/taps when you're moving stuff in and out. The lines were a little bit of a hassle, but so long as you keep them long enough, there's plenty of give inside to move things around with them in your way.

One point, if you do decide to go with the door taps, and you have a top-freezer compartment, make sure you drill your holes low enough to fit any tap handles you may want to use. When I made mine I didn't plan that far ahead, and wound up with a couple of tap handles that overlapped the top freezer door by about an inch, so I couldn't use them without attaching the freezer and fridge doors. I knew I'd forget at some point and go into the freezer for meat or hops and open up both taps all over my feet, so had to stick to short black tap handles until I upgraded.

I would go with the side. If this is a standard old fridge, with top freezer, it shouldn't have anything on the side. Just a thin wall with insulation. The compressor,H/X,lines,etc. should all be in the back. But don't qoute me on that!! At least on my fridge, a 18cu.ft top freezer Amana from the 80's, I put two shank's on the right side, about 3 feet up from floor, and a single CO2 line thru the left side near the bottom back left side. This worked on this fridge , but might not in your case. So be careful!! And Good Luck!!!

alright, I think Im gonna go the side route, since Im afraid about destroying the taps and pissing my wife off with the lines holding the door. My wife is beautiful but she is about as gentle as a buffalo and Im afraid she will mess up the lines getting extra milk out of the fridge.

With that said, this is a new kenmore so Im not sure whether or not the cooling lines are in the sides. I assume that because there is a large discharge in the top of the fridge, that this is the cooling source and the sides are simply full of insulation. Is this a bad assumption?

I may just have to call Kenmore. I would hate to void my 30 day old warranty by drilling a hole in my new fridge.

Back