Planning my Wet Hop IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawilson20

Reaction score
I have a pound each of Simcoe and Centennial Wet Hops that should be in this week.

Some of the threads I have reviewed encourage the use of dried hops for the bittering addition and from what I can tell the intended reason for this is to not waste the wet hops on bittering when you do not get any of the wet hop aroma/flavor benefits. Is there another reason I shouldn't be using these here? The way I see it is my 2lbs is not really enough to stretch into two batches and my current pipeline cannot support another batch at this time.

What extra waste have you seen in your kettle from all the hops? I need to know by how much to increase my trub loss.

IBUs have been adjusted to read 1/5 of the dry value based Beersmith's default AA%.

I look forward to your feedback. I am super excited about this recipe!

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 8.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 76.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 12.0 oz

Ingredients:
------------

Amt Name Type #
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 65.5 %
3 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 21.8 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.3 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.5 %

5.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 31.3 IBUs
2.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 20.3 IBUs
2.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 7.8 IBUs
2.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 10.1 IBUs
2.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 4.1 IBUs
2.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.1 IBUs
7.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
7.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 11 -

No other reason for not using them as bittering hops. As far as extra trub, I've never noticed a difference. Since the hops don't have to be re-hydrated, you may have a little extra wort.

Grain has been ordered and hops are scheduled to be in tomorrow. Here goes nothing.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect extra trub loss since the hops are hydrated w/ water already...

My LHBS advertised wet hops @ .95/oz...but needing to use at least 3 times as much as dry made that an expensive proposition so I passed. Let us know how it turns out and if there was more (or less) trub loss.

Just my $0.02, but I wouldn't dry-hop with fresh wet hops unless you could semi-sterilize them. I know the alcohol in the beer and other hop additions might be enough to protect it from stray wild yeasts on the fresh hops, but I wouldn't risk it. As for using them for bittering, I've made a Fresh hop pale ale before with 2 lbs. of wet hops at all kinds of different times throughout the boil and it tasted fantastic!

Good luck!

rcsoccer said:
Just my $0.02, but I wouldn't dry-hop with fresh wet hops unless you could semi-sterilize them. I know the alcohol in the beer and other hop additions might be enough to protect it from stray wild yeasts on the fresh hops, but I wouldn't risk it. As for using them for bittering, I've made a Fresh hop pale ale before with 2 lbs. of wet hops at all kinds of different times throughout the boil and it tasted fantastic!

Good luck!

But isnt the dry hop where they should shine the most?

jawilson20 said:
But isnt the dry hop where they should shine the most?

Not necessarily. You could put a nice big charge at 5 mins left and/or flameout. Maybe 8-10 oz. Then chill it down as fast as possible. That would give you a real nice aroma.

Brewed it up last night. All wet hops as descibed above, plus a flame out addtion of 2.5 oz Simcoe.

Everything went well except for the recirc of the BK. Those wet hops quickly clogged my outlet valve. I ended up using a racking cane to rack from the top of kettle into my carboy. I am happy to using a immersion chiller with and ice water recir in times like these :)

Back