California Lager Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cregan13

Reaction score
Making my first batch with Cal Lag Yeast (4th batch of beer overall). My big question is on clarity. I know I made my first mistake by dumping everything from the boil (solid remnants of hops) into the fermenter. The yeast seems to be thriving - a constant release of gas at 60 degrees F. However there is a lot solid material that seems to be constantly flowing from top to bottom in the fermenter. There also seems to be a lot of yeast growing on the inside walls of the fermenter. My question is - is this normal? And if not what can I do to fix it?

All you have to do is rack the beer into a secondary vessel for clarification. Let the beer complete the fermentation, take a hydrometer reading to be certain, then let it sit for a couple of days so the particles can settle on the bottom. When you rack the beer make sure to leave all the trub of the bottom in the primary, just get the beer on top of the sediment. Use a 5 gallon carboy because you will be able to check the beer to see whether it's clear or not, and because there will be less surface area for any oxygen to oxidize the beer. You will probably have to leave the beer for 2-4 weeks to clear. Colder temperatures will speed up yeast flocculation and make the beer crystal clear.

thanks for the advice. My next question is, during secondary fermentation do i keep the temperature the same - around 60? i f not, what should i drop it to?

You can keep them around 60F, but since the yeast will settle out at lower temperatures there is no point. Holding the beer at around 45-50F for two weeks should really clear it up, allow the flavors to blend and make it smoother. If you can't go that low, take it down as low as you can. Either way I'm sure the beer will be great.
Oh, and welcome to the forum!:D

also for what its worth look at the yeast websight for the type of yeast your using and see if that yeast is going to benifit from a dycetial rest.
JJ

Back