BJCP Grand Master judge gave me a 44/50!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBronco

Reaction score
And i still didnt place :mad:

Im confused as my Porter that took second with a 39.5/50 last year (same beer aged for 1 year) got a 16/50! It was classified as out of style in the same style it took second. :drunk:

My Giddy Gremlin got a 43.5/50 (moved on to a mini BOS) and didn't place! It was in "Specialty's" and the judge quoted that it would have done BETTER in the IIPA category. :confused: The winner was a Black IPA????

What has the judging world come to when a 44/50 dosent place? At least i can say im part of the 40+/50 crew...

was that for the World Cup of Beer contest? i got 2nd place for APA. entered at the last minute suggestion of a friend mostly for the feed back so winning second was nice.

was that for the World Cup of Beer contest? i got 2nd place for APA. entered at the last minute suggestion of a friend mostly for the feed back so winning second was nice.

Gold state... Didnt do Nationals this year. Nice job on the APA. What Brew shop do you go to?

Well if there are ten beers that scored between 45/50 and 50/50 you would be in 11th place. Very good but others were better.;)

Point is the judging seems to be pretty loose, no offense to the people that scored that high. If you score a 40/50 you have a phenomenal beer. Generally scoring higher is reserved for winners of specific styles/best in show.

Point is the judging seems to be pretty loose, no offense to the people that scored that high. If you score a 40/50 you have a phenomenal beer. Generally scoring higher is reserved for winners of specific styles/best in show.

Hey bro, This is my local corner beer store...

We need to talk trade ;)
423531_10150606114543613_756583612_9108285_1819944729_n.jpg

A few doors down from HopTech Homebrew in Dublin (Best Home brew shop in CA IMHO). Its called C-Mini Mart and is just a hole in the wall liquor store off of Hopyard. They are related to Perrys in Livermore and the owners of Livermore saloon. They have at least 50-60 Craft beers stocked fresh daily. They sell Pliny by the case!

A few doors down from HopTech Homebrew in Dublin (Best Home brew shop in CA IMHO). Its called C-Mini Mart and is just a hole in the wall liquor store off of Hopyard. They are related to Perrys in Livermore and the owners of Livermore saloon. They have at least 50-60 Craft beers stocked fresh daily. They sell Pliny by the case!

ah, i work @ dublin station tomorrow so maybe i'll stop in there on the way.

Im confused as my Porter that took second with a 39.5/50 last year (same beer aged for 1 year) got a 16/50! It was classified as out of style in the same style it took second. :drunk:

Yikes. What did they say about it in the scoring sheet? Possible you sent a tainted bottle that might have shown a little character of brett?

Yikes. What did they say about it in the scoring sheet? Possible you sent a tainted bottle that might have shown a little character of brett?

They said it was out of style. All good notes, but out of style. :confused: IT was the EXACT same category that i entered in last time... Robust Porter...

I hear your pain... I've had the same thing happen to me. It really is subject to the beers on hand that day. That says a lot for you local brewers that so many are producing great beer! I got a 42/50 at a large comp earlier this year and didn't place either. Be proud that you got such a great score. Remember, there are many brewers out there that haven't come close the a 44 before. Cheers and good luck next time!

I've seen a few posts like the OP.

I don't understand why people get annoyed by things like this. As others have said, you scored really, really well. That is awesome.

But, the fact is that three other people made better beer than yours. At least that was the consensus at the time of judging. Your beer might have gone to a min-BOS and the final judge had different preferences than the original judge. Or it could have been an intangible difference that made the other beers place.

Re: your porter... congrats on last years place. For this year, as others have said, it could have been a bad bottle. But also, maybe it just aged too long and it's now oxidized. Maybe that beer does not do well aging because the flavors don't do well over time.

Bottom line is that it sounds like you make some really good beer. Congrats.

And FWIW a black IPA should be entered into the specialty category. I think they may even state that specifically in the BJCP guidelines. But a beer tasting like an IIPA should be entered as an IIPA, not in the specialty category.

And FWIW a black IPA should be entered into the specialty category. I think they may even state that specifically in the BJCP guidelines. But a beer tasting like an IIPA should be entered as an IIPA, not in the specialty category.

This thread is not about being annoyed, I know that people brewed better than i did. I was going up against many world class clubs and brewers (Tasty, Doc, Club DOZE and a few of the BN Army Guys) It was more or less a statement of how well people are brewing and how competition is picking up, even since last year.

The Porter was not oxidized but docked and killed in points because it was considered "Out of Style" All the tasting notes were very complementing and was told it would have done very well in "another category" In hindsight, I probably should have put it in wood aged beers..

BTY

Yes an IIPA should go into the IIPA category, but an Agave Rye IIPA is considered a specialty and not a classic example of a IIPA. I made that mistake in the Chico Comp.

It was the "What has the judging world come to when a 44/50 dosent place?" line that made me think you were annoyed. I apologize if I misinterpreted your tone.

As far as the IIPA... at judging time, if the judge can't tell what you put into it, the ingredients don't matter. It really only matters what category it tastes most like. I've had beers that turned out a little different from I expected based on the ingredients. But they were still good so I entered them in the category that they best fit based on taste and a couple of them did really well.

Back