Recipe with no instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDFlow

Reaction score
I want to brew this recipe for my first batch but am a little unsure about the process as there are no instructions provided.

After reading a lot of material leading up to my big day here is what I immediately thought I should do: steep roasted barley, oats, and crystal and chocolate malts for around 40 minutes at 155-160 degrees. Remove specialty grains, bring to a boil and add extract. When boil is achieved add hops. Boil for 90 minutes. The only instruction in the recipe is to boil the hops for 90 minutes. Does my method sound about right? Also, I'm scaling this recipe down to 3 gallons from 5.5, how much yeast should I pitch? Is there a resource to find pitching volume?

6 lbs. - Pale Malt Extract
1 lb. - Flaked Oats
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/2 lb. - Chocolate Malt
1/4 lb. - Roasted Barley
1.75 oz. East Kent Golding Hops

Your method sounds about right except for the hops. What kind of kit is it, and what style of beer is it? Secondly, why are you scaling it down? If the kit is made for 5.5 gallons, do 5.5 gallons.

This is a good pitching rate calculator: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

You have to know your OG and by cutting your volume down to 3 from 5.5, it will go up considerably from that intended by the recipe. There are some decent online calculators to calc your OG and IBU, but Beersmith is a nice tool to invest in.

Just a rough calculation (assuming LME) says your beer would be at least 1.072, with DME it's at least 1.090. Both are big beers. I would not recommend making your first batch be a beer that big. Making beers that big taste good takes practice and patience. If you need to make a 3 gallon brew due to space constraints, I'd recommend scaling your ingredients back.

JDFlow said:
I want to brew this recipe for my first batch but am a little unsure about the process as there are no instructions provided.

After reading a lot of material leading up to my big day here is what I immediately thought I should do: steep roasted barley, oats, and crystal and chocolate malts for around 40 minutes at 155-160 degrees. Remove specialty grains, bring to a boil and add extract. When boil is achieved add hops. Boil for 90 minutes. The only instruction in the recipe is to boil the hops for 90 minutes. Does my method sound about right? Also, I'm scaling this recipe down to 3 gallons from 5.5, how much yeast should I pitch? Is there a resource to find pitching volume?

6 lbs. - Pale Malt Extract
1 lb. - Flaked Oats
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/2 lb. - Chocolate Malt
1/4 lb. - Roasted Barley
1.75 oz. East Kent Golding Hops

A few things
1) Consider brewing 2.75gallon batch. You can just cut everything in half that way.
2) remove the pan from the heat to add the extract and make sure it's completely mixed in before you put the heat back to it or you risk scorching it.
3) Consider adding about half the extract to the pot with 15 min left in the boil. Adding it all at the start will result in a darker beer.
4) I think you will be ok just pitching a single pack of yeast. I brew exclusively 2.5 batches and have never had reason to pitch more than that.

In response to your pitching volume question, www.mrmalty.com

What kind of yeast were you going to use? I'm guessing this is an oatmeal stout? I set it up in beersmith and if definitely falls into the low end of the style guidelines for oatmeal stout--see below--though I increased the extract to get into the low end for the style. Also not sure what the appropriate yeast to use, just plugged in Wyeast British Ale. 5.5 gallon batch

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.87 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 26.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 75.68 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
1.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.0 IBU
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale

Your method sounds about right except for the hops. What kind of kit is it, and what style of beer is it? Secondly, why are you scaling it down? If the kit is made for 5.5 gallons, do 5.5 gallons.

It's not a kit, it's an oatmeal stout recipe I found online. I'm scaling it down because I'm in an apartment with a cheap stove that won't boil the 6+ gallons I'd need to make most recipes. What sounds wrong with the hops?

In response to your pitching volume question, www.mrmalty.com

What kind of yeast were you going to use? I'm guessing this is an oatmeal stout? I set it up in beersmith and if definitely falls into the low end of the style guidelines for oatmeal stout--see below--though I increased the extract to get into the low end for the style. Also not sure what the appropriate yeast to use, just plugged in Wyeast British Ale. 5.5 gallon batch

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.87 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 26.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 75.68 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
1.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.0 IBU
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale

Awesome, thanks. The recipe calls for white labs irish ale yeast WLP004. I also plan on running all this by the good folks at my LHBS to get their input as they seem pretty well versed.

It's not a kit, it's an oatmeal stout recipe I found online. I'm scaling it down because I'm in an apartment with a cheap stove that won't boil the 6+ gallons I'd need to make most recipes. What sounds wrong with the hops?

There are no aromatic or flavor hops. Just bittering hops. And I understand you have boiling constrictions, but why not do a partial boil. Boil as much as you can and then when you have cooled it down, fill it with sanitary water to your 5.5 gallon mark. That is what almost all brewers do to start. Just keep in mind that you have to stir THE HELL out of it to get a some what accurate gravity reading. So when you are done, and have filled it up and then your gravity reading comes in low, the reason is because the water and wort haven't fully mixed yet. Yeast, however, do a very good job of mixing it up so no need to worry.

A few things
1) Consider brewing 2.75gallon batch. You can just cut everything in half that way.
2) remove the pan from the heat to add the extract and make sure it's completely mixed in before you put the heat back to it or you risk scorching it.
3) Consider adding about half the extract to the pot with 15 min left in the boil. Adding it all at the start will result in a darker beer.
4) I think you will be ok just pitching a single pack of yeast. I brew exclusively 2.5 batches and have never had reason to pitch more than that.

Personally, I like this recommendation for your first brew for a few reasons. A 2.75-3 gallon batch will be much easier to cool down in your sink. Cooling your wort quickly (less than 25-30 minutes) is important to avoid contamination and off-flavors. Also, you should be able to do a full boil on your stove with this method assuming your pot is big enough. Full boils don't require topping off with extra water after the boil. This approach better utilizes your hops and avoids the extra step of sanitizing the top off water. Lastly, as mentioned, your single yeast packets will handle a 2.75-3 gallon batch without the need for a starter. Some stouts only use a single a hop addition, so I think you're fine there, although adding a little extra hops for flavor and aroma is also fine (around 20 minutes left in the boil).

I'd also mention that a 90 minute boil is completely unnecessary for extract beers. I'd do a 60 minute boil. Add half your extract and hops at the start of the boil. Add the remaining extract @15 minutes (this means with 15 minutes remaining in the boil, so 45 minutes after the initial addition). You can also add flavor/aroma hops at this point if you choose to. With an oatmeal stout, this second addition of hops isn't required, it's up to you. After the 60 minute boil, cool your wort to pitching temperature, aerate the wort, and add your yeast.

As to the comment about the oats, yes, flaked oats should be mashed. To the OP, don't worry about this for your first beer, but if you're curious, you can read more here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/do-flaked-oats-need-mashed-205939/. You won't convert any of the starches in the oats to sugar, but you should get some added mouth feel/body. Even if it doesn't work, you're beer will be okay.

Good luck, welcome to the forum.

The single hop addition is appropriate for the style. I agree with the 60 vs. 90 minute boil. Flaked oats need to be mashed, I'd say w/ 2 lbs. of 2-row (with the other grains) to convert, but it's getting a little more complicated for a 1st batch. Now it's a partial mash/partial boil. Certainly do-able, but might be tricky to go that route for your first batch.

Personally, I like this recommendation for your first brew for a few reasons. A 2.75-3 gallon batch will be much easier to cool down in your sink. Cooling your wort quickly (less than 25-30 minutes) is important to avoid contamination and off-flavors. Also, you should be able to do a full boil on your stove with this method assuming your pot is big enough. Full boils don't require topping off with extra water after the boil. This approach better utilizes your hops and avoids the extra step of sanitizing the top off water. Lastly, as mentioned, your single yeast packets will handle a 2.75-3 gallon batch without the need for a starter. Some stouts only use a single a hop addition, so I think you're fine there, although adding a little extra hops for flavor and aroma is also fine (around 20 minutes left in the boil).

I'd also mention that a 90 minute boil is completely unnecessary for extract beers. I'd do a 60 minute boil. Add half your extract and hops at the start of the boil. Add the remaining extract @15 minutes (this means with 15 minutes remaining in the boil, so 45 minutes after the initial addition). You can also add flavor/aroma hops at this point if you choose to. With an oatmeal stout, this second addition of hops isn't required, it's up to you. After the 60 minute boil, cool your wort to pitching temperature, aerate the wort, and add your yeast.

As to the comment about the oats, yes, flaked oats should be mashed. To the OP, don't worry about this for your first beer, but if you're curious, you can read more here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/do-flaked-oats-need-mashed-205939/. You won't convert any of the starches in the oats to sugar, but you should get some added mouth feel/body. Even if it doesn't work, you're beer will be okay.

Good luck, welcome to the forum.

Thanks again, all the input is really helpful. I've read both how to brew and homebrewing for dummies so I'm familiar with all the jargon and processes, just lacking the wisdom but that's where this forum comes into play. The 3 gallon conversion is exactly for the reasons you mentioned. I can't do a full boil with 5 gallons but after a lot of research I refuse to do a partial boil.

The 3 gallon conversion is exactly for the reasons you mentioned. I can't do a full boil with 5 gallons but after a lot of research I refuse to do a partial boil.

My most popular beer to date was a cream ale, extract with specialty grains, and a partial boil. Of the 11 people I shared it with, 3 have asked if I will brew a full batch just for them! There are LOTS of ways to make great beer!

It is cool you are shooting for quality straight from the hip. That said, I'm with bleme on the partial boil being a potential way to make 5 gal of great beer instead of just 3 gallons of great beer. My first 8 brews were successful partial boils and I even topped off with straight tap water! (tho I am in a rural area that has terrific water and virtually no pollution.)

The hardest part of brewing for me so far has been having the patience to let it finish and get real good. Brewing 5 gallons helps my beer last long enough to reach that sweet spot and still have some to spare/share. ;)

I love quality beer so there's no other way I would have approached this. It's nice hearing that partial boils are an option. I'd imagine that would work better for a pilsner or ale considering the consistency is lower than a stout. The lady and I are planning a summer beer after the stout so maybe we'll try that method out. Also thinking of getting a few 1 gallon secondaries so we can play with different flavor options. Today's the day! I'll let you all know how this beast turns out in about a little over a month.

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else but are your grains already crushed? If not then you will need to do that before you steep them.

Buying all the stuff today and having the LHBS do the milling. My phone just auto-corrected LHBS to pubs. How fitting.

Hello JD, I just did a partial boil Cream Stout, after the boil (3 gal total) I added
2 1/2 gal of water and mixed the bajeebas out of it, after adding the 2 1/2 gal of water I took a sample for hydrometer reading, I always drink my sample (it was great) 3 brews in fermenters now and all are partial boils (I only have a 3 gal pot) if you have a fermenting vessel that will hold 5 gal, I would go for it (it will still be quality beer) and you will have more of it, thats a win win, just my 2 cents

Grats on doing your first brew

Good Luck and Happy Brewing!
WiliECoyote

Back