Stout Dry Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have not, but if I were going to, something like Columbus would be my first choice. The real earthy, herbal hops go well with the roast, IMO.

Beerrific said:
Have not, but if I were going to, something like Columbus would be my first choice. The real earthy, herbal hops go well with the roast, IMO.

I would really hate to ruin my oatmeal stout. Would love to hear from someone who's done it.

Oh, oatmeal stout. You did not say that. No, I would not dry hop and oatmeal stout.

I was thinking you were looking to dry hop a American stout or maybe a Russian Imperial Stout, which the hop aroma would be more fitting.

Beerrific said:
Oh, oatmeal stout. You did not say that. No, I would not dry hop and oatmeal stout.

I was thinking you were looking to dry hop a American stout or maybe a Russian Imperial Stout, which the hop aroma would be more fitting.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Maybe I'll try it on my American. I guess I wouldn't want to ruin that either.

If you want something like Victory Storm King, go ahead.

If you want something like Old Rasputin, then no.

Both are Russian Imperial Stouts with very different characters.

Three Floyd's had some kind of Christmas beer that must have been a dry-hopped stout. Looked like a stout, tasted like a stout, but the aroma was like sticking your nose into a bag of Hallertau/Tettnang/etc.

We dry-hop our Imperial Stout at the brewery where I work with Cascade and Centennial...I think it works great. Especially with a big stout that you will end up aging...the aroma will fade overtime, but makes for an interesting fresh stout.

I say go for it.

I dry hop my oatmeal stout with an ounce of crystal hops, just gives it a nice little aroma to keep you interested!

Latest posts

Back