dry hopped mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frydogbrews

Reaction score
so, i have a ton of hallertau pellet hops, has anyone ever dry hopped a mead? i have four 5 gal batches of dry show mead going now and i could dry hop one of them, but before i possibly ruin a batch i wanted to see if anyone had done it, or had thoughts on it?
thanks, and i'll hang up now to listen to the answer...:cross:

there's a brewery outside of detroit called Kuhnnhen brewery that does a ton of different meads and my favorites of theirs are their "hopnoxious" meads where they dry hop their wildflower mead with hops. each hops has its own unique flavor so they make a different batch for each hops to showcase the hops varietals, they are fantastic and their hallertau and cascade are my two favorite varieties! dry hopping is a great idea!

but.....

all of their hopnoxious meads, and the cascade mead I am planning on making with my next batch are all sweeter meads, i would be careful how dry you go with it because then you might end up with more of the bitterness of the hops being showcased instead of the actual floral 'hoppy' notes that make a hopped mead so special.

let me know how it turns out, but yes, hopped mead is happy mead!
- Jones

I don't know if I've ever had mead but I dry hop my cereal in the morning. When somebody appears to be asking me if they should dry hop something I cut them off with an emphatic "YES". I've agreed to some wild things as a result of that, but that's a story for another time. I say go for it.

I have dry hopped a mead, although it originally included some molasses and some Rauch malt. I dry hopped it for 3 days with cascade hops after fermentation had been over for 3 weeks. I used 1 oz per gallon. It turned out really well.

1 oz per gallon, huh? I going to give that a try. I have cherry mead that is too sweet for my taste (like them below FG 1.010). I think cascade would be a good candidate. Mead already perfectly clear and 3 months old.

I don't really have anything to offer as in personally making dry-hopped mead.

I went to a brewfest in Portland, ME this past summer and Maine Mead Works was there pouring 3 (or 4?) of their offerings. 2 were sickening sweet to the point I could only take a sip or two. But the 3rd I tried was amazing! It was their dry hopped mead. At the time I had just made my first batch of MAOM and those first 2 questioned if I'd just dump it. I haven't tried dry-hopping a mead, but I plan on it.

Back