pale malt extract (dumb question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanigav7

Reaction score
My next recipe is going to be an amber ale. The recipe calls for pale LME. The only thing close I see at my local brew store is Breiss Gold and Muntons Light and Extra Light. I'm trying to figure out which one would be best...if either...

Any of them will work fine for an amber. I would only worry about the color of the extract if I was trying to make a very pale recipe.

As long as they all have the same base malt (i.e. 2-row) used to make them, I say go with the lightest.

In extract brewing (especially if you are concerned with consistency), you should obtain color and specialty flavors from steeping grains. Not to bash anyone, and there are some very reputable malt extract companies out there, but you can never be exactly sure how they obtained color and flavor in those extracts.

What would the Briess LME equivalent be for a Pale Malt Extract? The Pilsen?

The recipe calls for Pale Malt Extract and Crystal 60 malt --- this will be an American Ale. I prefer to use Briess LME but I dont' see a "Pale Malt" LME that Briess makes. So either I'll have to change brands or switch to Alexander for this recipe.

I didn't even know Briess made liquid extract. I always seen their dry extract. Same with Munton. I'll be darned.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Pale= light or even extra light would work. If you're subbing dry for liquid, or liquid for dry, there is a small conversion as the LME has water in it so you'd need a bit more. But the color name doesn't matter a bit.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I kind of figured that the Pilsen LME would be fine but wanted to check with others first.

Problem with Breiss is that they do use other malts in their extract but at least you know what the are. Coopers is 100% 2 row.

Back