Yeast for higher Alcohol%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalo

Reaction score
If possible could i get some feedback on which yeasts are best for getting a higher alcohol cider?. I have been reading alot but haven't found this info pertaining to cider,just beer. Thanks alot,i'm just looking for this info for future batches.

The highest I have ever gone is 12% but there are some strains that will go up to 18% abv. Lalvin EC1118 comes to mind.

How high are you looking to go?

I don't really have a certain goal but i keep hearing about how certain yeasts will go pretty high compared to others so i was just wondering about the really high ones,i guess anything 11% and above.

The highest I have ever gone is 12% but there are some strains that will go up to 18% abv. Lalvin EC1118 comes to mind.

Thanks for the reply,i will add that one to my to try list. I really didn't have a goal but around 18% might be fun:D

Lalvin EC-1118, Alcohol Tolerance: 18%
The EC-1118 strain was isolated, studied and selected from Champagne fermentations. Due to its competitive factor and ability to ferment equally well over a wide temperature range, the EC-1118 is one of the most widely used yeasts in the world.
Temp range: 45 - 95°F (7° to 35°C)
The EC-1118 strain is recommended for all types of wines, including sparkling, and late harvest wines and cider. It may also be used to restart stuck fermentations.
lalvin_ec-1118.jpg

Red Star Premier Cuvee, Alcohol Tolerance: 18%
A strain of Saccharomyces bayanus from a French wine yeast, is a special isolate of Red Star Yeast & Products. This yeast has good tolerance to ethanol and free sulfur dioxide, and ferments to dryness. Premier Cuvée is noted as a very low producer of foam, urea, and fusel oils. It is recommended for reds, whites and especially champagne. This yeast is reported to perform well restarting stuck fermentations. Winemakers have remarked that Premier Cuvée is the fastest, cleanest, and most neutral fermenter offered by Red Star®. Ferments best between 7°-35°C (45°-95°F).
Certified Kosher.
premiumcuveelabel.jpg

Red Star Pasteur Champagne, Alcohol Tolerance: 15%
A strain of Saccharomyces bayanus, has been derived from a pure culture slant of the Institut Pasteur in Paris. This strain has been widely used in the U.S. since 1968. It is a strong fermenter with good ethanol tolerance, and will readily ferment grape musts and fruit juices to dryness. This strain also has good tolerance to free sulfur dioxide. This strain is recommended for all white wines, some reds and for fruit juices. Although this yeast is somewhat flocculant, it is not commonly used for sparkling wine. Pasteur Champagne has been recommended, by several sources, for restarting stuck fermentations. Ferments best between 15°C-30°C, (59°F-86°F).
Certified Kosher.
pastuerchamplabel.jpg

Any champagne yeast (white labs, wyeast, the before mentioned red star, etc.) Are all great for high alcohol ciders. Of course you need to ramp up the sugar considerably. I make a high octane cider (cyser) with 5 gallons of good AJ, 4# of brown sugar and 4# of honey. I've had results from 14-18%. If you try this route dont just add plain sugar. it will just have a strong alcohol taste, add a little flavor by using honey, brown sugar, maple syrup, etc.

Why stop at 14-18%? Freeze it and make apple jack. I forget the formula, but you might be able to hit 25%....<shudder>

Jack is basically making something like Apfelwein, then freezing it and flipping upside down to remove the alcohol and leave the rest behind as ice.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

nukinfuts29 said:
Jack is basically making something like Apfelwein, then freezing it and flipping upside down to remove the alcohol and leave the rest behind as ice.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

Pretty sure the mods dont like this being discussed......

FastAndy said:
Pretty sure the mods dont like this being discussed......

Eisbocking isn't technically distillation, so I don't think the mods have any problem with it..

Thanks everyone for the info,its appreciated. I will look into the different one's mentioned and do some research on them.

Well, it depends on how high you go. But ultra speed speed is certainly not the key to good flavour lol.

If you want HIGH alcohol content its turbo yeast. They can go up to 25% but i have heard that it RAPES any flavor giving you just high alcohol.

For cider since i have only used dry yeast lalvin 1118 is the best. No extra flavors and its clean and fast.

If you want HIGH alcohol content its turbo yeast. They can go up to 25% but i have heard that it RAPES any flavor giving you just high alcohol.

For cider since i have only used dry yeast lalvin 1118 is the best. No extra flavors and its clean and fast.

Thats the thing,i want high alcohol but i'm not looking for nothing but alcohol taste. I'm gonna experiment and see what gets me the highest alcohol but still allows me to retain the cider flavor. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Please post your results if you find something. Everything I've read says that if you take it down to around 1.000 or less...it basically strips the apple flavor and you end up with a white wine-ish taste. I always use Notty and it only drops to around 1.008 (or so). I've never made apfelwein, so I dunno what that tastes like.

Most apple juices seem to start around 1.050 with no sugar added and even if it goes bone dry it will only be around 7% ABV. When you add additional fermentables to boost ABV wouldn't you start to introduce additional flavors other than apple? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Please post your results if you find something. Everything I've read says that if you take it down to around 1.000 or less...it basically strips the apple flavor and you end up with a white wine-ish taste. I always use Notty and it only drops to around 1.008 (or so). I've never made apfelwein, so I dunno what that tastes like.

Most apple juices seem to start around 1.050 with no sugar added and even if it goes bone dry it will only be around 7% ABV. When you add additional fermentables to boost ABV wouldn't you start to introduce additional flavors other than apple? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I will post as i try the ones mentioned,i'm going to do 1 gallon batches first to get a taste. If they end up to much like a white wine i will be back sweetening them since i don't really care for wine much. Either way i will post my findings,i'm going to start a few of them next week after the xmas rush is over and i get my current batch switched over to secondary.

look up the laws on distilling! freezing anything that has alcohol to bring up the abv falls under distilling in the USA! and there is no such thing as personal consumption according to federal law. there for it is an illegal posses. i your in the USA ! freeze away at your own risk!

look up the laws on distilling! freezing anything that has alcohol to bring up the abv falls under distilling in the USA! and there is no such thing as personal consumption according to federal law. there for it is an illegal posses. i your in the USA ! freeze away at your own risk!
Have you contacted the ATF to verify this statement?

Have you contacted the ATF to verify this statement?
In the eyes of the law, distillation in any form is not legal. But, to make matters more complicated, freeze distillation is not really distillation at all. The process is completely different, and the more appropriate term is freeze concentration. In the United States, freeze concentration of beer is legal. OK, I was wrong about "freeze concentration" and freezing beer only is legal! Still 95% right! Now what smarty?

Thats the thing,i want high alcohol but i'm not looking for nothing but alcohol taste. I'm gonna experiment and see what gets me the highest alcohol but still allows me to retain the cider flavor. Thanks for taking the time to post.

You can easily do 12% with Nottingham ale yeast. And if you use frozen concentrate to boost the ABV (3 cans to the gal), you can get 11 or 12% (maybe more) with lots of apple taste.

Back