Where to buy fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfisherwes

Reaction score
I Am in the market for more fermenters. I like plastic buckets best because they are light and don't break. I am looking for the least expensive place to get buckets or anything else I can use for fermenters. I saw 5 gallon buckets at lowes but if I do 5 gallon batches are these big enough? I have tried to primary in 5 gallon glass carboys ant it gets messy. I thought about doin 8 gallon batches and using 2 five gallon buckets separately to ferment.

I'd love some help with ideas or places to buy.

TIA

Check out some of HBT's wonderful sponsors in the vendors forum.

If you do 5G batches, you probably want the 6.5G buckets at least for primary.

If you do 8G batches, you could potentially split them into 2 HD or Lowe's buckets. Most people don't use those because they are an odd size for batches - for 5G batches, you need bigger.

If you want a 8G batch all in one fermenter (keep in mind that will be much tougher to move), you could try a 10G bucket...I think I saw some at Northern Brewer.

i have some medical grade HDPE 7gal water containers if you want them for free. Just pay shipping from CA. We used them for a few batches and they work great. Stackable and with a nice handle. PM if interested.

Food grade icing buckets can be had for free from a bakery or grocery store, but they'll likely only be 3 or 5 gallons in size.

BrewThruYou said:
Check out some of HBT's wonderful sponsors in the vendors forum.

If you do 5G batches, you probably want the 6.5G buckets at least for primary.

If you do 8G batches, you could potentially split them into 2 HD or Lowe's buckets. Most people don't use those because they are an odd size for batches - for 5G batches, you need bigger.

If you want a 8G batch all in one fermenter (keep in mind that will be much tougher to move), you could try a 10G bucket...I think I saw some at Northern Brewer.

Thanks. I was gonna go 8 gallon batches for the sole purpose of Making them suitable for 2 five gallon buckets. I do 5 gallon batches but it seems kinda cumbersome to split up a five gallon batch. I will check out the sponsors.

outside92129 said:
i have some medical grade HDPE 7gal water containers if you want them for free. Just pay shipping from CA. We used them for a few batches and they work great. Stackable and with a nice handle. PM if interested.

I think shipping from Cali to WV would probably defeat the purpose. But I am curious, what department in a hospital has water buckets? I am a pharmacy student and work in hospitals regularly so I might be able to come across some.

Thanks

Hey post a pic i'd like to check them out. am over in L.A so shipping over shouldn't be to bad.

Back