Stop me before I do something stupid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtylarry

Reaction score
I'm bottling a hefeweizen tomorrow, and I was checking the tastybrew.com carbonation calculator to see how much priming sugar to add. It says to use ~8oz for a 5g batch, and that just seems like a bunch of sugar to me. I don't wanna have any bombs on my hands. Does this seem accurate to you? I've never used more than 4-5oz priming sugar before.

I just to a look @ Beersmith, the style guidelines read 2.4 to 2.8 vols for Heff. For 2.4 according to the program it would require 3.78 oz. of corn sugar for 5 gallons. So I would have to agree that 8 oz. sounds like too much.

Actually the link I gave you also comes up with 8 ounces assuming fermentation temp of about 60.

This is for 4.0 vol of CO2 which is mid-range for a hefe.

But keep in mind the maximum tolerated pressure in the bottles...

This is a quote from one of Revvy's prior postings on the maximum CO2 levels for different bottles:

BOTTLE TYPES AND PRESSURE
Most of the bottles you will use will be the standard 12oz bottle. These are
suitable for the vast majority of styles but we don’t suggest you use them
for beers with over 3 volumes of CO2. Below is a chart based on CO2 volume
and suggested bottle usage. These are approximate guidelines and demand
that the bottles be free of cracks or chips.
BOTTLE:VOLUME CHART
Bottle type
Volume/Max. CO2

12oz 3
33cl Belgian 3.5
500ml European 3.5
Swing top 4
Champagne 7
PET 10
Kegs can be used in the place of bottles and should be treated exactly like
a large bottle. A lot of commercial brewers prime in bulk and then counter
pressure fill at bottling.

Having posted this, I have no idea how accurate the info is. But I will say that Revvy is usually spot on.

I did a bunch of brews last fall and went on a carbonating to style kick. I did a 5 gallon batch of dunkelweizen and carbed to trhe level you are talking about. I went with 8 ounces of table sugar. I reused commercial 12 oz bottles too. It was super foamy but I did not have any bombs. I have since decided that I like around 2.3 vols carbonation regardless of the style, as I was disappointed in some of the beers when going by style. I just like what I like I guess.

Keep in mind though, hefe are a over carbinated bier. I made the mistake in my calculations and under carbinated my bier and it didnt turn out as well. Just a thought

Back